Thread: UT2004 and Centrino laptops

UT2004 and Centrino laptops

If you are playing UT2004 and have a Centrino based laptop make sure the CPU is set to "Performance" and not "Adaptive". Allowing the CPU to throttle down at any time while gaming could cause intermitten halts in the game.

On my Sony PCG-V505EX I have a Power Panel application that allows me to control the CPU mode (and other factors) under a variety of different conditions. I don't know if other Centrino bases systems have the same appliction...

BTW: UT2004 plays extremely well on the V505EX even though all I have is an ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB of video RAM

Wow, impressive. I didn't think that laptop was that powerful. What resolution and video settings are you playing under, though? Also, did you happen to try CS on that laptop as well? I'm guessing you'd get a constant 100, based on the good UT2004 performance, right? Thanks.

1024x768 16 bit with all settings on "normal". I've tried reducing the settings, but it made so little difference in frame rates that I set everything back. I've never tried Counter Strike, sorry

Hey, no problem. It's totally ok.

Just for reference, what kind of FPS values are we talking about here? 30-ies? 50-ies? Over 100? To find out your FPS, type 'STAT FPS' in console while playing (without the quotes, of course). Thanks again!

Depends on the map and what 3D effects are active. I've seen everything from 30 to 100+ while playing. Pretty impressive for a laptop with a 12" screen.

Hey, Dalantech, could you please do me like the biggest favour ever?

Try running Futuremark's 3DMark2001 SE on that little lappy of yours and tell me what score you get (while set to performance mode/plugged in, of course) please. You can download it for free here. Either way, thank you very much.

Also, since you're one of those very very few people who have this laptop, could you please write a minireview? Just a couple of words on what you think about it, etc. Especially if there are any problems with it (like keyboard flexing, sound glitches, etc.) and so on. It's very hard to find any kind of review/information about this laptop past the official specs and a paragraph description. Once again, thank you very much in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by shurcooL
    Hey, Dalantech, could you please do me like the biggest favour ever?

Try running Futuremark's 3DMark2001 SE on that little lappy of yours and tell me what score you get (while set to performance mode/plugged in, of course) please. You can download it for free here. Either way, thank you very much.

Also, since you're one of those very very few people who have this laptop, could you please write a minireview? Just a couple of words on what you think about it, etc. Especially if there are any problems with it (like keyboard flexing, sound glitches, etc.) and so on. It's very hard to find any kind of review/information about this laptop past the official specs and a paragraph description. Once again, thank you very much in advance!
    He already wrote a review. Not a "minireview", its actualy a pretty in depth and good review. He posted the link to it several days ago. Its on his site... so just go there. :cheers:

Yeah, thanks, but he posted that review *after* I made that post.