Thread: Where is the BF:Vietnam CD-key kept?

Where is the BF:Vietnam CD-key kept?

I moved BF:V onto my firewire drive so I can play it on any of my work/home computers. Problem is, I get the 'CD-Key invalid' error when I try to play online with any but the original computer. I need to duplicate the cd-key file... anyone know where it is and what its called?

gsferrari's alter ego gsminardi's Avatar
    you cannot install it on more than one system and have them both online at the same time AFAIK...

a.k.a gsferrari

Currently Playing : BF1942/Desert Combat : FarCry Demo 1&2 and full version : Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow : Battlefield Vietnam
    System : Sager 8790 - P43.4/1.0GB/256MB9700/60GB@7200

cept i also want to know the second part of his question..
    5670 (Pro-star 5634), 3.06Ghz HT, 1GB RAM, 128MB Mobility Radeon 9000, 80GB HD, 15" UXGA, Combo DVD/CD-RW, Wireless 802.11b

Uniwill N223II0 (Alienware Sentia), 1.6Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 40GB 5400rpm HD, 12.1" WXGA, 8x DVD+/- RW, Wireless 802.11b/g

No, that's right you can't. But that's not what I'm planning to do.

I want to be able to switch my firewire from my personal laptop to my desktop to my work computer and so on. One at a time. I need to duplicate the CD key on each.

I can play offline and on a LAN just fine.

Yep, modding, patching, and otherwise customizing your game is a good amount of work, and it would be nice to have it INDEPENDENT of windoze, specifically on one of these firewire or usb drives. And if windoze bites it, blue screens, etc, why should I have to fix it in order to play my game when I can just plug into another PC for now. Too many preach the gospel of the DMCA when simple control over what they already purchased is all they want.
    -- javaman

I'm guessing it's in the registry. Have a look there. A good place to start would be HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\.

http://
    ^^ thats what I did to find my cs key

I'm not sure about this game, but sometimes companies register your copy to a specific mac address on your ethernet card. Unless you use the same card, or change your other computer's mac address, the program won't work when it checks with their server. But this may not be what's going on here.

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield Vietnam\ergc

It may be easier to install it on each machine while pointing it to the firewire drive though. That way, the information will be added to the registry for each machine automatically.