Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's in Doom3 that's not in Far Cry?

What's in Doom3 that's not in Far Cry?

Just curious... Screenshots for D3 don't look any better than FC. Both have ragdolls, and lots of non-static objects (but not everything). What does D3 bring that's better than FC?

HL2 on the other-hand truly looks next-generation, assuming it is true that there are no static objects (i.e. every wooden shack can be destroyed like a wooden shack, and aren't indestructable statics).

Doom 3 has slightly better graphics IMO. Doom 3 also is a hell of a lot scarier (I havent played Far Cry, but nothing can be more freaky than Doom 3). And thats about it, now that I think of it these ames are pretty simular.
    - Thinking inside the box is cool!

my 5670: P4 2.66/RADEON9000 128MB/1 GIG O' RAM/40GIG HD 5400RPM
    my DESKTOP: AMD Athlon 64 3000+/Nforce 3 250 mobo/RADEON9800 128MB/512 MB O' RAM/40GIG HD 7200RPM
    Currently Playing: Star Ocean 3, CS:S, Stepmania

Uh... I can't believe you're asking this.

How about *THE REAL-TIME VOLUME SHADOWS*?

Even if FC has those, I doubt they're all that common, considering most of the game is played on a sunny tropical island. In Doom 3, OTOH, you'll be able to see monsters coming around corners, or shoot a ceiling lamp to make it swing...

Even if FC has those, I doubt they're all that common, considering most of the game is played on a sunny tropical island. In Doom 3, OTOH, you'll be able to see monsters coming around corners, or shoot a ceiling lamp to make it swing...
    FC has all that. A considerable portion of the game is indoors, as well as nightfalling outside.

It's really something else. It's about what I imagined D3 to be.

It's the fact that Doom was the most influential, not to mention scariest, fps ever made. Despite having the required total lack of plot as fps's did at the time, it was still the atmosphere that made it a classic, not the graphics (although those were the attraction at the time.) It's the fact that Doom 3 has to live up to something that no one has really matched yet in the realm of modern fps's. I can only hope that they get it right again. Far Cry has nothing to live up to...

IT Graduate
    I found the original Halflife to have more of a storyline than the Doom series. You are right about its superiority during its day, but I'm hoping for the same scary (not freaky scarey, but desperation type scary) story line again.
    ---------------
    8790-S: Alive: Heart, Brain, Liver, and Lung Transplant: Limping and licking the wounds.
    ---------------
    8790-S: P4 3.4 GHz Northwood | 1024GB PC3200 RAM| 2x 60GB hard drive 7200 rpm | 12 cell Li-ion battery | XP Pro | Targus TSB315 Deluxe Backpack | Wireless G internal card | 2 year warranty | XiTel DAC | Belkin Nostromo n52 game pad | Logitec m700 Optical Mouse | Transportable AMP from JMT Audio.com | Grado SR-225 headphones

D3 will be one of the best multi-player games of all time.

*Enderet hopes what hes saying doesnt turn out to be BS.

I doubt D3 will be a great muilti, unless they really get it optimized well
    M60

My new home :headbang: :headbang:

Have you seen the videos of it running multi player? I think I saw some over at ign.com

P|mPz0rz
    also both have bump mapping which makes the game look as geat as it does also. I have a strong feeling if your lappy can hold down far cry, well it will be able to support d3 well also
    CyberPower X64-8000 AMD Mobile Ahtlon64 3400+ 1GB RAM 128 mb Radeon 9600 60GB 7200 Rpm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast