Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom 3 And Hl2??

Ownerofa9100

Doom 3 And Hl2??

Hey all,

quick question. I have a I9100 with a 3.2 GhZ, 60 Gig (7200RPM), 512 Ram, 64 mb ATI 9700 Video Card. I havent tried running any games yet, waiting to get Far Cry, however is there any signs that DOOM 3 and HL2 will run on this system??

alan
    Waiting for my laptop-seemed like years, opening up my Inspiron 9100-3.2 Ghz, 512 Ram, 60Gig (7200Rpm), Radeon 9700 64mb video card (soon to be 128 mb), Samsung WXGA LCD screen, 4X CD/DVD REC,
    priceless.... :bouncy:

Impatient Artist
    They should run smoothly on medium settings on your system
    Current games loaded: Homeworld 2 - BF: Vietnam - Desert Combat - Painkiller
    Sager 5690-S "Alien killer"
    :smash:

Actually, they should run at high setting too. My 2.8 Celeron ATI 9000 should run the game sat medium, so you're much better off.

you will definitely manage all high settings with your lappy, just make sure you get the 128mb video card first. It has been said that Doom III is going to be the most scenery detailed game yet which translates into a lot of memory needed to store texture shades and other things. The processor is great and the hard drive is just as fast as you'll find on most desktops (except for the retards that indulge themselves with 10,000rpm 74GB hard drives) I'll be willing to be you a $100 through pay pal that your system will game like....a dream machine (for lack of creativity) :bouncy:

I concur. Get a 128meg card and a little more Ram and these games will run like a dream.

So where did you all buy your time-travelling machine?

Very funny. The guy asked for opinions. We gave 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by m739pd
    Very funny. The guy asked for opinions. We gave 'em.
    To me it looks like many were stating facts, as if they actually knew how games that won't be ready for months are gonna run like.

If they are sure of what they're saying I'd like to know where they got that info , if it's only their opinion I would like to know on what it's based since personally I disagree with theirs , some of the reasons why:

- The radeon 9800 pro costs about 200$ these days.

- By the time games like DOOM 3 and Half-life 2 are released there will be graphics cards featuring 16 pixel pipelines and supporting pixel shader 3.0.

- Some current games already support PS3.0(even though it'0s mostly for marketing reasons) all points to that most upcoming games will.

- When an impressive game is released it requires at least the moment's high end machine to be ran in full detail(sometimes it even requires hardware that will only come months later to be ran in full glory)

-By the time DOOM3/hl2 comes out the radeon 9800 pro will be low end.

- The m10/m11 gets half the fps in games of a radeon 9800.

Now can the m10/m11 actually run these games? Of course it should since the engine is supposedly scalable enough to even run on dx7 cards.(coming from the devs i take it with a grain of salt)

Now obviously since we're talking about 2000$+ systems we're not talking about meeting the min system req of these games, we're talking about playing the game with full details, full pixel shader precision at a resolution of at least 1024*768 , in such conditions the m10/m11 gets under 30fps in far cry. . . DOOM3 and HL2 are coming out nearly half a year after far cry . . .

Sucky sucky..five dollah! CrabbyPatty's Avatar
    Here's a newsflash for you. The HL2 and D3 engines are already completed, and are just being tweaked. They have already run these games on current machines, such as the ones at E3 and they run rather smoothly.
    True, by the time they are released the 9800 will be med to low end. So what? A lot of games today are running 60fps+ with a medium priced card on a good machine.
    I stand to my opinion, they will run fine on this laptop with medium settings
    Athlon 64 3000+ / Asus A8n-SLi nForce4 / Dual 6600GT SLi / 19' Samsung Flat Panel (8ms!)
    Audigy Gamer sound / Razer Diamondback 0wnage mouse / Klipsch 5.1 THX Surround
    3dmark03: 14298
    3dmark05: 6380

There's no place like 192.168.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Amir
    Here's a newsflash for you. The HL2 and D3 engines are already completed, and are just being tweaked. They have already run these games on current machines, such as the ones at E3 and they run rather smoothly.
    True, by the time they are released the 9800 will be med to low end. So what? A lot of games today are running 60fps+ with a medium priced card on a good machine.
    I stand to my opinion, they will run fine on this laptop with medium settings
    I could just say "Here's a newsflash for you, a game's graphics and how many resources it demands on a system have little to do with its engine, ever heard of a year-old game called splinter cell who runs at under 30 fps with the m11/m10 at 1024*768? It uses the same engine as unreal 2003" but that would be rude.

Doom3 and Halflife2 are dx9 titles that will come out quite some time after Far Cry, these new titles are expected to have superior graphics(though for HL2 they are only one of its qualities, Doom3 seems to rely much more heavily on its eye-candy to attract hype) superior graphics mean more graphical power needed, if the m10/m11 already gets under 30 fps with far cry and upcoming titles like DOOM3 are supposed to have pixel-shading2.0-(and 3.0)heavy better graphics then I don't see how a card that is less powerfull than last year's middle-end gfxcard is gonna run these future games in full detail.

Unless you believe that the programmers of HL2 and Doom3 can pull some magic trick that makes better looking games run faster than older, poorer looking games, or that current games such as Far Cry or Splinter Cell are poorly coded.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast