Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with running FarCry

Problems with running FarCry

My video-card is Mobility Radeon 9600 64Mb. Here is the problem: I run the game at min. settings and it went very fast, so I tried making the settings higher, but whenever I do that the game crashes and my lappy needs a reset Even playing at min. parameters sometimes stucks the machine (black screen and nothing more :$) What might cause such problems?

Notes: - I have Omega 4.5 drivers installed
    - all the power settings are set on maximum perfomance
    - my vid. card is not overclocked

I have tried installing Catalyst drivers, but the installer says that my hardware is not supported. I have also tried updating FarCry to 1.1, but the update program says that I don't have FarCry installed :scratch:

Any ideas? Why the game that runs very smooth keeps crashing my video?? :confused:
    Lappy #1:
    Bliss 503C [Centrino 1.4Ghz/512Mb/40Gb/DVD-CDRW/Wi-Fi/Mobility Radeon 9600 64Mb]
    Lappy #2:
    RoverBook RT5 [PIII 750Mhz/256Mb/20Gb/DVD/Wi-Fi AP/Ati Rage LT Pro 8Mb]
    ============
    ... ultra-happy, -=PlorX=-

Some more lags:
    When I try changing the resolution from the game - it crashes. When I do it through FarCryConfigurator.exe it does not change anything. I put 1024x768 while the game loads up at 1400x1050.

I am so much pissed of this... you can't belive how... plz help :mad:

Note2:
    Tried running the game in OpenGl mode. It doesn't crash, but lags like !@#$%^&...

Addintion: Just patched the game to 1.1 - the same picture Found a way of changing the resolution (doing it manually by editing config.cfg).

I guess that my last hope is Catalyst driver set. Plz. help me to install it :rolleyes:
    Lappy #1:
    Bliss 503C [Centrino 1.4Ghz/512Mb/40Gb/DVD-CDRW/Wi-Fi/Mobility Radeon 9600 64Mb]
    Lappy #2:
    RoverBook RT5 [PIII 750Mhz/256Mb/20Gb/DVD/Wi-Fi AP/Ati Rage LT Pro 8Mb]
    ============
    ... ultra-happy, -=PlorX=-

I'm also having problems running Far Cry on my 5670

I have everything set at the minimum settings running @ 800x600 I'm getting around 100fps just running around and 40-60fps when killing everyone rambo style! I love this game

My problem is everyonce and a while the game freezes. It's starting to get annoying. I have the 1.1 patch and that didn't seam to fix it.

Haven't been able to get very far cuase it keeps freezing. I have even reinstalled windows and have the lastest Omega drivers. But I'm on the level that was in the demo and it I can't get past one point becuase of the freezing! This is pissing me off cuase it never froze once in the demo and I thought I would be trouble free if I bought the game.

Any suggestions?

Though I usually hate to say it, in this case I feel your pain, for both of you. "Most" folks are able to run FarCry, but there are MORE than a few of us that have problems with it. I was getting horrible, unbearable freezes when helicopters or boats were around. I have it running "near" smooth now, with only occasional pauses, other than that little Black Screen of Death I got last night after meeting Valentina for the first time and starting the next level (STEAM?). Never saw a PC do THAT before! Had to hard reboot and the game worked and continued after that. This is even after falling back my Omegacorner 4.5s to Omega 3.10s (couldn't get the recommended 3.9s to install). I don't have the machine in front of me at the moment to tell you everything I've tweaked and twiddled, but basically I'm running at 1024x768, all LOW setting in the game (it sets low even though it detects Very High??) My Direct3D settings are more or less Balanced at the moment, but I may knock them down further toward Performance. I've also tried setting Wait For Vsync to ON in the ATI Control Panel. I've set Sound on either Monaural or Stereo. There's another tweak where you add -DEVMODE to the shortcut and add a parm to an additional SystemConfigurator file. Remind me to check tonight if you can't find it on the Net. Other than that, it's a fun game, though not as strategically challenging IMO as other FPSs like DeusX, HalfLife, Wolfenstein, even MOHAA. I am only running at Medium difficulty, not too hard, not too easy. The colors are awesome. My NEXT laptop I'd like to be able to run these games at a much higher res so I can enjoy the graphics as well as the game play.
    (May 2006): Dell XPS M1710 \\ T2500 (2.00GHz/667Mhz) \\ 2GB RAM \\ 512MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX \\ 80GB HDD@7200 \\ 8XDVD+/-RW \\ 17" WUXGA 1900x1200 M1710 Review with Acer 8104 comparisons :wow: Saved $1100 buying here. PM me for IMOs.

(Jan 2005-Jun 2006): Acer TM 8104 \\ 2.0Ghz \\ 2GB \\ ATI X700 128MB \\ 100GB HDD@5400 \\ DVD-RW \\ 15.4" WSXGA+ 1680x1050\\ 8104 review with pictures, Acer ezDock review

(Feb 2003-Jan 2005): Sager 8887X

Well I think I got it working for my setup.

Cat 4.5 Drivers
    smoothvision to 2x
    always wait to vertical snyc

Frame rate doesn't stay as quite as high but atleast it stay above 30fps and thats all I really care about fps wise.

It felt really good being able to shoot down that plane bringing in more guys to kill!!!

Here are some of those tweaks I found:

OK, here you go. It's worth putting the extra effort in to get this game running. Although, it's still unacceptable that Ubi released it, probably knowing that it wasn't going to work for the majority of ATI GPU users.

1) In '\Program Files\Ubisoft\Crytek\Far Cry' create a new text file called SystemCfgOverride.cfg and add the following line to it:

e_dynamic_light = "0"

2) Save the file and make sure it has the .cfg extension, not the default .txt extension.

3) Right click your newly created SystemCfgOverride.cfg file and select properties.

4) Be sure to check off "Read Only".

5) Click OK.

6) Right click your Far Cry desktop shortcut and select Properties.

7) Add -DEVMODE to the Target line. It should look something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Crytek\Far Cry\Bin32\FarCry.exe" -DEVMODE

8) Click OK.

That's what I did to get it running. I didn't have to make any changes to my system.cfg file. Although, if you do get it running and you want the water to look much cooler, then change:

r_WaterReflections = "0"
    to:
    r_WaterReflections = "1"

The game is very sweet once you get it going. Good luck!

__________________________________________________ ______
    __________________________________________________ ______
    Alright....I was having pretty much all the probs every ATI Card owner was having. After Hours upon hours of screwing around with this and that...Reading everything on every forum, I now have my P.4 1.60 Ghz 768 ddr ram ATI Radeon 9200 128 Running Far Cry all settings on on high @ 1024x768 (32bit) with a very fast FPS (I dont know how fast because I cant check it...for some reason the command is not working in console). And I can homestly say this game is good.

Here is what I did:
    --went to my bios, in memory information and changed the AGP Setting to 256 mg, it was at 64mg.
    ---Went back into windows and Increased my paging file because it was way below recommended. I think because I just upgraded RAM. So that might be something to look at.
    ---in C:\Program Files\UBIsoft\Crytek\Farcry\System.cfg file and changed these values to
    sys_spec = "2" (tells the software that your computer is high end)
    e_EntitySuppressionLevel = "0" (Don't Know what this is)
    e_flocks = "1"(this is so I could see birdies and Fish)<---------Previous settings Courtesy of Semper_Ducimus---

---Went to Far Cry Config and Set all settings to High. (I did turn off AA and no EAX )

Voilla!!!! Game runs smooth as silk. Now I am having fun and don't want to kill any one.

push the ~ key to bring up the console, then type:

\r_displayinfo 1 : turns it on
    \r_displayinfo 0 : turns it off
    (May 2006): Dell XPS M1710 \\ T2500 (2.00GHz/667Mhz) \\ 2GB RAM \\ 512MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX \\ 80GB HDD@7200 \\ 8XDVD+/-RW \\ 17" WUXGA 1900x1200 M1710 Review with Acer 8104 comparisons :wow: Saved $1100 buying here. PM me for IMOs.

(Jan 2005-Jun 2006): Acer TM 8104 \\ 2.0Ghz \\ 2GB \\ ATI X700 128MB \\ 100GB HDD@5400 \\ DVD-RW \\ 15.4" WSXGA+ 1680x1050\\ 8104 review with pictures, Acer ezDock review

Couldn't get the FPS to display until I used the TAB key for the "\" and typed in the rest. I'm mostly running in the upper 30s FPS, sometimes going to 70s or more, and less often going into the 20s. I still get occasional pauses and sound lags, and it doesn't seem like the FPS drops when it does that. Possibly a sound drivers conflict. I think video and sound are on separate IRQs. I recently did a full format and reinstall, with software raid, and 'tried' to load all drivers in the proper order. The game is running much smoother than ever now, so I'm getting sucked into it (read: "less sleep").

I'm presently having one heckuva time getting the night vision goggles. **SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THIS FAR**. I know I could surf and get a dozen answers, but I'm more interested in what you guys are doing. I got to the dock with a stolen boat, with a rocket launcher guy and a sniper on the right hill, a machine gunner on the left hill further back, and patrols all over the place. I eventually snuck around to the back of the camp where I passed another auto-checkpoint, and once even got the goggles before getting blasted for the umpteenth time. Finally I bypassed the camp and goggles altogether for now and passed yet another auto-checkpoint where I meet the monsters. (I know there is a console save-game cheat, but so far I haven't passed my frustration level with auto-checkpoints. Usually I HATE games that don't have a save-game key.) I've blasted the next boat a few times, and also gone back to camp and taken out the machine gunner a few times. But if I take over the machine gun I'm too exposed and get blasted again before I can take everyone else out. Oh well, there's always tonight. Despite my ADD I'm enjoying the game more than ever now that it's playing smoother. And since the difficulty seems to be ratcheting up, it's less a calkwalk than it seemed at first. I'm getting to like the 50-round submachine gun. Mac10, UZI? It doesn't have the accuracy or power of the other one but the extra rounds make up for it in tight spots.

OK, fiiiiiinally got past that. Moved on a bit then switched over to my new Call Of Duty SP. Now THAT is a fast moving game! I'm getting some pause again, so I'll have to fiddle with that. I had OC turned up a bit, perhaps that was it.

How do you feel Far Cry would perform on an 8790 with a 3.4 EE and MR9700?

if you guys have farcry on your lappies would yall mind getting a program called benchemall and run the benchmark and post your results on this thread here? also state your system specs

its a nice way of standardizing gaming benchmarks... which is a better indication of overall system performance, rather then synthetic benchmrks which only show one aspect of ur machine usually

http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=25780
    Laptop: Compal CL56 Intel Pentium M 1.7, ATI Mobility 9700 128mb, 60gb 7200rpm hd, 512mb ram
    3DMark01 Score: 11,284
    3DMark03 Score: 3,501
    AquaMark03 Score: 27,367
    MobileMark02 Score: 272 min

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast