Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Official DOOM 3 [H]ardware Guide

The Official DOOM 3 [H]ardware Guide

Enjoy boys and girls:

YAY!

Good read.

Low Quality mode is basically for 64MB video cards in the value video card segment or older hardware. For people that run this level of video card (assuming it meets the minimum system requirements), you can be assured of a solid gaming experience. In Low Quality mode everything is compressed, including specular, diffuse, and normal maps. Any textures that are larger than 512x512 get downsized. Specular maps are also downsized to 64x64. The Low Quality setting also reduces sound diversity to the level of one sound per sound effect.

Medium Quality is built for those that own mainstream 128MB video cards. Medium Quality still compresses specular, diffuse, and normal maps, but it does not downsample any textures or specular maps. This means you will get the full texture sizes available in DOOM 3, though compressed. Sound diversity is also increased in Medium Quality giving you more sounds per sound effect.

High Quality is for those that have performance video cards with 256MB of local video card memory. High Quality does not compress normal maps at all, so there are no compression artifacts with any of the normal mapped textures. It does, however, compress specular and diffuse lighting. At High Quality, anisotropic filtering is automatically enabled at 8X. So along with the uncompressed normal map textures, you also are adding 8X anisotropic filtering to the performance and image quality equation. Depending on your system, we have found 128MB video cards that can handle High Quality mode very easily.

Ultra Quality is the cream of the crop for DOOM 3. In Ultra Quality nothing is compressed. Normal maps, and specular and diffuse lighting are all displayed at full resolution with no compression. Because of this, there is a tremendous amount of texture data needed on the video card, upwards of 500MB. While it will run on lesser cards, you may experience hitching or pausing due to the graphics card having to swap textures in and out of its memory buffer. That is why this setting is recommended for 512MB video cards. There is nothing stopping you from trying this quality setting if you want to, just keep in mind that the memory load is huge.
    Looking at the image, it's surprising just how good Low Quality looks. id Software has done an incredible job at making even the lowest quality setting look so good.
    The textures look absolutely incredible in Low Quality.
    In the very last screenshot comparison you can see that the light emanating from the flashlight looks similar throughout all quality settings and that the monster looks absolutely incredible even in the Low Quality shot, with slightly more detail being seen at High Quality.
    What we noticed immediately is that DOOM 3 looks incredible even at 640x480!
    id Software has gone to great lengths to make DOOM 3 look good, even at low quality settings. We're very impressed with the texture fidelity, quality of lighting, and shadows even at Low and Medium Quality settings.

Its a fantastic article. Well worth the read.
    1557G Pentium M 1.6 :saywhat:
    1 gig DDR333 RAM; 60 gb 7200 HD; 64mb ATI 9600

im...so...happy right now...
    - Thinking inside the box is cool!

my 5670: P4 2.66/RADEON9000 128MB/1 GIG O' RAM/40GIG HD 5400RPM
    my DESKTOP: AMD Athlon 64 3000+/Nforce 3 250 mobo/RADEON9800 128MB/512 MB O' RAM/40GIG HD 7200RPM
    Currently Playing: Star Ocean 3, CS:S, Stepmania

The Wise One
    I was seriously thinking my 1.4GHz Pentium-M w/Mobility Radeon 9600 would be waaayyyy underpowered for DOOM 3, but it looks like I should still be able to play at around 800x600 in Medium detail level or so.

Can't wait to pick this one up to give it a shot.

(and no, I don't currently own a desktop -- my laptop IS my desktop.)

t3h w00tZ! The differences are not very noticeable, I'll be able to play it fine. Let's celebrate! :awdance: :banana: :awdance: :banana: :awdance:

Area-51m,15.4" WideSXGA, Conspiracy Blue, Pentium 4 Processor 3.2GHz, 512MB, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600 PRO, 80GB 5400 RPM, 4x2x8x DVD+RW / 16x10x24x CD-RW Combo, Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, External Wireless 802.11a/b/g PCMCIA :awblue:

These test results show a couple tips for improving performance (which might come in handy on notebooks):

DOOM 3 Timedemo tests

Do not play with VSync turned on. You can gain 6 FPS just by having it off and visually there isnt alot of difference. If you really need additional FPS, especially in multiplayer, my first suggestion is to turn off Shadows before anything else. Both being Off gives you an additional 15 FPS.

If you are still having trouble running the game at Medium Quality at 1024x768, turn off Shadows and VSync before you drop resolution or Quality settings.

Minor computer demigod. |-007-|'s Avatar
    My GeForce 6800 would love to eat Doom3 for breakfast soon....from the benchmarks I've seen it looks like I'll run it at the max this monitor can support....1280x960. With High Quality that should mean 53 fps avg. With High Quality and 4x AA + 8x AF the benchmarks say 34 fps avg., still at 1280x960. That should do me.
    I'm not sure if its worth $50 for a benchmarking game though....fortunately I can look past the graphics and see the gameplay, which is traditional hack your way to the key so you can hack your way to the door and open it and then repeat the process many times. If you know of any good gameplay reasons to buy this game, hit me up.
    XPS 2
    Playing: A little Tribes or BF2, Perfect Dark on Nintendo 64, Warhammer 40000 over LAN.

Here are some low-end desktop card benchmarks which are close to what you'll find in most notebooks:

AT tests Doom 3.

Quote Originally Posted by bloke
    These test results show a couple tips for improving performance (which might come in handy on notebooks):

DOOM 3 Timedemo tests
    Good to know, thx. I'm gonna need all the additional frames I can get.
    Area 51m Conspiracy Blue :awblue:
    Pentium 4 3.0GHz
    15.4" WSXGA
    1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
    60GB 7200rpm
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
    DVD/CDRW combo
    802.11 a/b/g
    Windows XP Pro
    External LG DVD+/- R/RW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast