Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: How will Doom 3 run on your mobile system?

  1. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_bojangles
    Also, I am boosting the RAM to 768 (old pc133 in transit from newegg), is there any chance I can run the game with 384? Should I even bother untill I get the new one? Is the 866Mhz just too underpowered for DOOM? :scratch: Will anyone reply to this message seriously... :saywhat:
    You probably shouldn't bother. I have a similar system and I'm just going to wait until I upgrade before I even try it. The thing is, you may get it to be playable at low settings, but the game is really meant to be played with the eye-candy on. I don't see much point to playing it with everthing turned off at 640x480. Just my opinion.

  2. #12
    The Last Samurai BonerDoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by bloke
    You probably shouldn't bother. I have a similar system and I'm just going to wait until I upgrade before I even try it. The thing is, you may get it to be playable at low settings, but the game is really meant to be played with the eye-candy on. I don't see much point to playing it with everthing turned off at 640x480. Just my opinion.
    The game actually looks really nice at 640x480 for being at 640x480, which really isn't saying much. But really, the game looks great even with alot of options off (just keep those shadows on) (They look great) (And add alot to the mood).
    Aopen 1557 from myAopen.com
    1.6ghz banias from newegg
    512mb pc2700 memory
    60 gig 5400rpm hitachi hdd
    128mb radeon9700 mobility
    $1421.70 with shipping and testing :cheers:

  3. #13
    Stool Sample
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_bojangles
    ***ALERT***

    ***OLD Tech Support Question***

    So before I hear (read) 10 pages of "Duudde, you're system is soo OLD!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: " I am prefacing this with "why do you think I came here to look for a new laptop?"

    I haven't ordered my new lappy (1557GL) yet, so I have to make do with what I have for now...a four year old Dell. ug.

    866Mhz
    384 MB RAM
    Radeon 8500 128 VRAM

    So, my question is twofold, any remember (if you can think back when we computed with abacuses) what the best drivers are for the 8500? I keep reading about Omega etc. drivers for the new ATI's (9600, 9700) so is there any equivalent for the old 8500.

    Also, I am boosting the RAM to 768 (old pc133 in transit from newegg), is there any chance I can run the game with 384? Should I even bother untill I get the new one? Is the 866Mhz just too underpowered for DOOM? :scratch: Will anyone reply to this message seriously... :saywhat:
    it's like getting Z-rated tires for a Geo Metro, it'll help in some aspects but it can only do so much; you'll end up going 82 mph than 80 mph downhill... will you notice the difference? maybe...

  4. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2
    hey ungcas, how did you manage 1024 and high detail?? just by turning shadows off? what is your fps?

  5. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by rznboi7
    hey ungcas, how did you manage 1024 and high detail?? just by turning shadows off? what is your fps?
    Oh my bad, I meant to say 1024 medium detail. I turn shadows off because i find it dark and it takes quite a toll on the system.

    I have to say after playing this game for a while, i do find 1024 a little choppy at times when there is a lot of action.

    I get average 28 fps in the timedemos. I'm going to try at 800x600. I prefer to stay over 30 fps, as i don't like any jerkiness.
    Game really looks good no matter what detail or resolution you are at.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Mitac 8050 - Dothan 1.7 - 1 Gig PC 2700 - Hitachi 60 GB 7200 RPM - Built in 2W Super Kick Ass Subwoofer

    Asus W3J - Core Duo T2400 - 1 Gig Ram - Fujitsu 100 GB 5400 RPM - DEAD SEXY!:dance2:

    POS Dell Inspiron 8200 - Overpriced Crap
    ------------------------------------------------------

  6. #16
    anime freak:)
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_bojangles
    ***ALERT***

    ***OLD Tech Support Question***

    So before I hear (read) 10 pages of "Duudde, you're system is soo OLD!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: " I am prefacing this with "why do you think I came here to look for a new laptop?"

    I haven't ordered my new lappy (1557GL) yet, so I have to make do with what I have for now...a four year old Dell. ug.

    866Mhz
    384 MB RAM
    Radeon 8500 128 VRAM

    So, my question is twofold, any remember (if you can think back when we computed with abacuses) what the best drivers are for the 8500? I keep reading about Omega etc. drivers for the new ATI's (9600, 9700) so is there any equivalent for the old 8500.

    Also, I am boosting the RAM to 768 (old pc133 in transit from newegg), is there any chance I can run the game with 384? Should I even bother untill I get the new one? Is the 866Mhz just too underpowered for DOOM? :scratch: Will anyone reply to this message seriously... :saywhat:

    the CPU is under the minum spec for doom3

    requires at least a 1.5 gig cpu or equivlent
    Sony VGN-S360 - 1.7 P-M - 1gig (2X512) 333 Ram - 60 gig(7200 RPM) - ATI 9700 64 meg - 13.3 WXGA(XBRITE) - DVD/CDROM - Dock

    Asus A8N SLI premium - AMD Athlon X2 4400+ - 2 gig RAM - Asus 6800 GT - 74 gig WD Raptor - 2 x 500 gig HD RAID - 400 gig - 500 gig - Razor Diamondback Green - Sony 17" ex-brite - Logitech cordless desktop 510

  7. #17
    heh. digital RAID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Yardley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2
    I can run this game at 1152 x 864 on my 9600 pro with no slowdown (always above 25 fps). of course, I used a few tweaks...
    Sager 4780: 3.2 GHz P4 Northwood, 1024 MB PC3200 DDR RAM, TV Tuner, 4 Speakers and a blown subwoofer (2.1 audio), 60 GB 7200 RPM HD, 1440 x 900 17"' screen with 1.5 dead pixels, 128 MB ATI RADEON 9600 PRO TURBO, 2X DVD-RW drive which can no longer read DVD-R/RW format, webcam, 5 minutes battery life, busted headphone jack, 2 crippled USB ports, etc.

  8. #18
    Yes! mayaman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    471
    which tweaks? the cachemem tweak?
    Interested in World War 2? Check out this.

    http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=158050 (cheap laptop ideas for the artsy fartsy type)


    Pants are fun
    Finished CG artwork! It may be revisited though

    http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=156371

  9. #19
    Livin Loud Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by chivas
    it's like getting Z-rated tires for a Geo Metro, it'll help in some aspects but it can only do so much; you'll end up going 82 mph than 80 mph downhill... will you notice the difference? maybe...

    Not to be too anal, but Z rated tires have nothing to do with speed, a better inference would be you could get .8g's latteral accelration instead of .75g's

  10. #20
    Mentally Ill
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    20
    On m505X, using radeon 9600 mobility with 64 and 512 mb, i got 1200*800(native) with all low, shadows on, vsync off, performance settings, no aa or af, playable, 30 FPS and above
    Ubuntu is an ancient african word meaning I can't configure slackware and gentoo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Advertise:
Ads@StrafeRight.com

Terms of Service || Privacy & DMCA Policies || About Us
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 PM.
Design by DanFortH