Thread: Best doom3 performance increases

Best doom3 performance increases

First off I dislike any lag at all. This is also pointed at the ATI users. I started playing the game at 1024x768 on med settings with aa/af up one notch in the control panel. After I applyed these tweaks I now play at 1024x768 w/ Ultra setings same aa/af geting a higher frame rate.

1. Set your agp apature to Half of your ram. ie set to 512 if you have 1gb
    (you should be able to set this in your bios)

2. Download and install the catalyst 4.9 beta drivers (nice performance fix for doom3)

3. Open DoomConfig.cfg (in doom3/base) with notepad and change line seta image_cacheMegs "32" or "20" etc.. to 256 for 512mb of ram and 384 for 1gb of ram

4.read this http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.p...eadid=33774907

and if you want. install dx9.0c, probly wouldnt help with performance but dosnt hurt.

my specs are Amd 3200+, 9800pro, 1gb ram. Went from playing in med at 40fps to ultra at 40-60fps

. Open DoomConfig.cfg (in doom3/base) with notepad and change line seta image_cacheMegs "32" or "20" etc.. to 256 for 512mb of ram and 384 for 1gb of ram
    i thought u have to set the cache megs to have the total ram u have.. so if u have 1 gb of ram u should set it to 512 mb ram??
    Toshiba Satellite 5205-s703 :

P4-m 2.0 ghz ; 1 gb ddr ram ; 15" UXGA ; 2x60 gig HDD's ; Dvd-rw/Cd-RW Combo ; Geforce4 460 go mx ; Windows Xp Home

You can but I have tested alot of tweeks and didnt have any performance increse after 384mb-400mb of ram.

The cachemegs "tweak" is purely placebo affect. No one has gotten increased fps in the timedemo. Come on do you honestly think John Carmack would forget to enable a setting to use all of your ram? It already will.
    Compal 56
    P-M Dothan 2.0ghz
    1Gb Transcend PC2700
    ATI Radeon 9700 128mb
    60gb 7,200 rpm 8mb cache
    Pics

Would you like some screenshots? My fps went from 48.9 to 52.5 with that one tweak.with all it went from 39.2 to 52.5 and that is from the time demo1 with high settings.

Stuff In It = Animal
    Quote Originally Posted by j3ff
    The cachemegs "tweak" is purely placebo affect. No one has gotten increased fps in the timedemo. Come on do you honestly think John Carmack would forget to enable a setting to use all of your ram? It already will.

that's pretty ignorant because your measuring something it doesn't effect ( on some systems it does, but that is all stuff i hear form other people ) ... it doesn't up the FPS, it does however allow you to load new rooms etc much smoother, pretty much eliminating the load-lag you'd get from moving from one area to another
    "See, free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction."
    -- George W. Bush, Milwaukee, Wis., Oct. 3, 2003

Quote Originally Posted by laughterkillsme
    it doesn't up the FPS, it does however allow you to load new rooms etc much smoother, pretty much eliminating the load-lag you'd get from moving from one area to another
    Yes I agree with you. I dont see much of a framrate add but, it does make rooms load faster. wich in the time demo1 does load a few rooms and now does not choke. Which in that particular test gives a better avg framerate.

And one of the only problems that held me back from running ultra was the annoing lag of loading rooms. Now it is much more playable seeing the fps hardly drops when loading rooms