Thread: Playing PS2 on card bus

Playing PS2 on card bus

Hey all.

I am looking to buy a cardbus so I can play my PS2 through my laptop screen as my TV has just gone bust.

I am looking at the following model:

AVerTV Hybrid+FM Cardbus

Anyone know if this would be compatible. It says it has a S-video input so if i get the relevant cable to connect my PS2 to this input this should all be fine.

Anyone have this model or tried one. Is it any good and what is the quality like. I heard there is also some lag on a few models.

So any help anyone could give would be great.

Cheers

Dave

Just 1 hint before I reply to the post: PLEASE include a link to a page with specs, pictures, etc. to make it easier for people to find information about it.

Now, I found the products specs online and there is no reason why it shouldn't work with your ps2. S-Video will be the best way to do it, and it will give you a much sharper picture. Check out:

Composite: http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2.../composite.jpg
    S-Video: http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ant/svideo.jpg

Another thing is that you may want to look into whether this tv tuner can be switched between timeshift and realtime mode. Timeshift mode means that you will have a delay of ~2 seconds (tv tuners use this to implements pausing, etc.). If you cannot switch to realtime mode, be aware that there is a lag and that might affect games with a high twitch factor.

Unfortunately, I've never owned this particular model and I can't find anyone who has (and has tried to connect his console to it). However, if the software is installed right, this should basically work as plug and play.

Lastly, some links for additional reading:
    301 Moved Permanently -- small review, guy liked it.
    http://www.mrgadget.com.au/catalog/a...ard-p-437.html -- just the specs.

Regards,

zakaluka2.

Thanks for the reply. My bad about the link sorry guys, Heres a link....

http://www.averm.co.uk/avermedia/ave...bus.asp?show=2

Any one else had experience with this model? Or could anyone recommend one

Cheers

Dave

You may or may not be able to use your mobile system to play with your PS2. TV tuners usually have a lag of 1-2 seconds after they receive the image from the source because it processes the image for the computer to display.

While watching TV or receiving image from a video source (VCR/DVD) it does not matter but when it comes to gaming it will make it impossible.
    Women are like internet domain names; all the ones I like are taken.

Quote Originally Posted by auron2k
    Thanks for the reply. My bad about the link sorry guys, Heres a link....

http://www.averm.co.uk/avermedia/ave...bus.asp?show=2

Any one else had experience with this model? Or could anyone recommend one

Cheers

Dave
    OK, in the link you posted, they mention under "Major Features" that this card has TimeShift under the PVR features. This is because you need it for having a PVR.
    ... (some time later)
    Okay, I have done 2 things.
    1. I have downloaded the user manual for the product. You can get it from http://www.avermedia.com/cgi-bin/support_manual.asp . The regular manual is a hell of a lot more useful than the "quick guide" (which is also twice is big as the full manual because all the languages are combined into one document).
    2. I have written an e-mail to their tech support and should receive an answer soon.

However, from what I read in the manual, it seems that this product is normally NOT in timeshift mode. Therefore, there should be no lag or any other problems (except for regular lag created by time required for signal to travel along cables, etc.). Searching the manual for the word "time" is quite illuminating.

So, I think you are safe. Or, you can wait for the answer they send me.

EDIT: I have also asked them what kind of lag to expect, so you may want to wait for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by zakaluka2
    OK, in the link you posted, they mention under "Major Features" that this card has TimeShift under the PVR features. This is because you need it for having a PVR.
    ... (some time later)
    Okay, I have done 2 things.
    1. I have downloaded the user manual for the product. You can get it from http://www.avermedia.com/cgi-bin/support_manual.asp . The regular manual is a hell of a lot more useful than the "quick guide" (which is also twice is big as the full manual because all the languages are combined into one document).
    2. I have written an e-mail to their tech support and should receive an answer soon.

However, from what I read in the manual, it seems that this product is normally NOT in timeshift mode. Therefore, there should be no lag or any other problems (except for regular lag created by time required for signal to travel along cables, etc.). Searching the manual for the word "time" is quite illuminating.

So, I think you are safe. Or, you can wait for the answer they send me.

EDIT: I have also asked them what kind of lag to expect, so you may want to wait for the answer.

Many Thanks, you have been a great help, I will wait to see what they have to say before parting with my cash. Many Thanks once again you have been most helpful.

Cheers Dave

OK, this is really irritating. The company still has not responded to my questions. I believe you are going to have to buy the card and try it out. Hopefully, the company offers a 15 or 30 day return policy. Sorry, but I just can't find the lag information anywhere.

Regards,

zakaluka2.

I was also wondering this, I play Xbox 1 on Live! everyday on my crappy 13inch TV, i would love to be able to play it on my nice 17inch laptop LCD.

if ANYONE has has any experience with this, and knows of a way to play a non HD console (S-video) on their laptop please let us know.
    Dell Inspiron 9300 | LG 17" UltraSharp WXGA+ LCD | Pentium M 740 1.73Ghz | 1.25GB of OCZ/Dell |256mb Nvidia Geforce go 7800GTX | 60GB 5400 | 120GB 7200 External USB 2.0 | 24X CD-R/DVD Combo | Intel Pro/Wireless 2200 | XP Pro SP2 | 9 Cell Battery | Logitech MX510 Red :gun2:
    in 06 :headbang: | Xtreme-G 91.31|