Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123712 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sony/PS3 Features and News

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    well that'll keep Duke busy

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    well that'll keep Duke busy

Sony Puts on a Show @ E3

E3: Sony Puts on a Show : Next Generation - Interactive Entertainment Today, Video Game and Industry News

With a new PSP, a list of first party projects, and a spine-tingling trailer for the PS3-exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4, Sony attempted to inject some excitement into its struggling PlayStation 3.

Sixaxis to Get Rumble This September? : Next Generation - Interactive Entertainment Today, Video Game and Industry News

Rumble maker Immersion has announced it has entered into a partnership with gaming peripheral manufacturer Katana Game Accessories, which “will begin distributing peripherals for Sony PlayStation products in North America” in September bearing the TouchSense logo.

Sony surprised everyone with a pre-E3 price cut announcement, announcing both a "new" 80GB unit at $599 and lowering the price of the 60GB PS3 to $499—a savings of $100. The price drops were effective immediately.

As it turns out, Sony is rapidly phasing out the 60GB PlayStation 3 in favor of the 80GB unit and will no longer be manufacturing the newly minted $499 PS3 for the North American market. That $499 price is less a price cut and more a sale tag, in other words. SCEE president David Reeves has told GamesIndustry.biz that he expects the 60GB model of the PS3 to be sold out by the end of this month throughout North America, and Sony won't be making more of them.

The move is a brilliant one for Sony, for it allows them to streamline their offerings in the US while finally importing the hardware revision Sony is using almost everywhere else. The European PlayStation 3 launch revealed that Sony had removed dedicated hardware aimed at ensuring wide PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility. The new units have software aimed at providing backwards compatibility, which helped Sony cut manufacturing costs. The "downgrade" had been much lamented online, but we heard few reports from gamers who run into compatibility problems, although they are out there.

The upgrade to 80GB of storage offsets some of that potential bitterness, and Sony can pull the switcheroo while still saving plenty of money on manufacturing. According to Reeves, the cost difference stemming from the 60GB to 80GB hard drive upgrade is "just Euro cents" (a.k.a., pennies).

The end result is that it costs less for Sony to make the upgraded 80GB unit than the existing 60GB unit. The Motorstorm bundle might shave a few bucks off those savings, but they're there. Whether or not you see this as brilliant product management or evil trickery will likely depend on how you view Sony, but one thing is clear: if you want dedicated hardware for backwards compatibility support, the 60GB unit is your only option, and supplies are limited.

well said coffee

check this out.. lol

I don't want to be argumentative, but I take issue with Microsoft either having a long tail, or being profitable, because they've never done either. They've never made a dime in this business, number one, and number two, they've never had a tail. They've never been successful enough to have a tail! So the notion of a back half of the curve doesn't exist for them. They stopped the Xbox and I kind of feel for the guy that bought an Xbox the month before they said 'we're out of business, we're moving on.'

With the Xbox 360 you've got an inconsistent design, some have a hard drive, some don't, and none of them have Blu-Ray, and the HD-DVD will be out of business in a matter of months. Is this a 10 year product? And by the way, it doesn't even work. Do they want to be selling it for 10 years and refurbishing them all for 10 more years? I don't think that's a 10 year product. You could disagree with me, or they could disagree with me, but I'd put that up against the PS3 any day.
    When Executives Attack: Peter Dille Goes Beserk, Bites Microsoft In Face - Kotaku

According [to] Game Informer magazine, a $399 40gig PS3 system is on the way, but it will have no backwards compatibility. They actually expected to hear the announcement at E3 on it. So they may have just heard different rumblings altogether.
    Game Informer Online

I though that backwards compatibility was a software thing, not hardware?

-- if that's true people will find out a way to make it work anyways
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123712 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-13-2007, 11:35 AM