Page 1 of 17 12611 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sony/PS3 Features and News

Sony/PS3 Features and News

just a place to update news and features as it becomes available...

Firmware Update on July 24, 2007

Sony's PlayStation 3 will very shortly be updated to firmware version 1.90.

The latest download, which will be released in Europe on July 24, brings with it a range of new features, fixes, and tweaks, including emoticons, in-game PS3 video setting customization, and the ability to eject a disc using the option menu.

Other new features include the ability to rearrange games on the XMB (dashboard), change folder classifications, add bookmarks, and enable Web security, as well as access new XMB backgrounds and a "bit mapping" option in music settings.

Also in the update is the ability to change the CD output to 44.1/88.2/176.4kHz, force 24Hz output for Blu-ray over HDMI, save AVCHD-type animations from a memory stick, and change settings such as upscaling while playing PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games.

Avatars will also now move during visual chat. In the past, once firmware is available in Europe, it is also available in North America. However, Sony representatives had not returned calls to confirm this about the update as of press time.
    July 17, 2007

According [to] Game Informer magazine, a $399 40gig PS3 system is on the way, but it will have no backwards compatibility. They actually expected to hear the announcement at E3 on it. So they may have just heard different rumblings altogether.
    Game Informer Online

July 12, 2007

[ame=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21844.html]Gametrailers.com - PSP - E3 2007 Star Wars Presentation[/ame]

[ame=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21847.html]Gametrailers.com - PSP - E3 2007 Slim Model Presentation[/ame]

[ame=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21850.html]Gametrailers.com - PSP - E3 2007 Games Montage HD[/ame]

[ame=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21834.html]Gametrailers.com - PlayStation 3 - E3 2007 Games Montage HD[/ame]

July 11, 2007

Sixaxis to Get Rumble This September? : Next Generation - Interactive Entertainment Today, Video Game and Industry News

Rumble maker Immersion has announced it has entered into a partnership with gaming peripheral manufacturer Katana Game Accessories, which “will begin distributing peripherals for Sony PlayStation products in North America” in September bearing the TouchSense logo.

Sony Puts on a Show @ E3

E3: Sony Puts on a Show : Next Generation - Interactive Entertainment Today, Video Game and Industry News

With a new PSP, a list of first party projects, and a spine-tingling trailer for the PS3-exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4, Sony attempted to inject some excitement into its struggling PlayStation 3.
    December 06

Does the PS3 have a higher tolerance for scratched discs?

Yesterday was the "decorate the tree" day at my house, and Jess ran to the library while the kids were napping to grab some Christmas movies. I don't have a regular DVD player hooked up... with both the 360 and the PS3 in house, I thought it would be a little redundant. So we put a movie into the 360 and started watching Bob the Builder save Christmas. Of course, after a few minutes it jammed up and gave me the "OMG THE DISC WON'T PLAY" achievement notification that the 360 pops up when your disc has a scratch or two on it.

Frickin' discs from the library. It's like they let just anyone check 'em out.

So on a lark I moved the disc over to the PS3, and to my surprise it played fine. The rest of the movies did as well. All the discs that the 360 choked on, the PS3 played without a problem. While I was talking about this with some of the other Ars editors, it turns out that Ken has noticed this as well. His one-year-old loves to destroy discs, but the PS3 plays on when the Xbox 360 chokes. Of course Ken also raised a good point, which is the fact that the PS3 is also quieter during playback.

Based on this anecdotal evidence it seems like the PS3 has a much higher tolerance for beat up discs than the Xbox 360. Does Sony have the secret sauce or is Microsoft skimping on the DVD drive in the 360?
    Does the PS3 have a higher tolerance for scratched discs?

The focul point for reading a standard DVD not only is tighter earlier, yet also has a larger target on the DVD track then Blu-ray or HDDVD needs, with the bluray having the tightes focus of both formats, it will most likey be able to read through the most damage on standard DVD's and CD's.
    Last edited by Dukefrukem; 07-23-2007 at 03:08 PM.

Yeah, the 360 is one sensitive b1tch. I hate how small scratches can mess up even newer games. I have also had trouble playing normal DVDs, especialy rental ones that have light scuffs here and there. :mad: This is definetely something to look forward to on the PS3.

Interesting :huh:
    Pentium M 2.13GHz | GeForce Go 7800 GTX | 60GB 7200rpm

Yeah, that is interesting... I hate how some movies wont play on my DVD player hooked up to my tv but play great on my computer (I need a new DVD player anyways...but still) :P
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

this is great for the PS3 because it keeps track of everything you play... same deal with x-fire

Sony has announced the latest 1.80 firmware for its PlayStation 3 console, adding resolution upscaling for PlayStation and PlayStation 2 titles as well as brings DVD playback to full 1080p resolution when viewed on a compatible television.

The update is expected to be available on May 24, adding not only these visual enhancements, but also enabling Remote Play functionality for the PSP, allowing users to access their PlayStation 3 consoles remotely from any available wireless connection.

In addition to requiring this latest PlayStation 3 firmware, Sony notes that Remote Play will also require users install PSP firmware version 3.50, which will be available at the end of May.

Other additions bundled with the 1.80 release include the ability to print photo images stored on the PlayStation 3's hard drive inserted media on certain Epson printers.

Additionally, following the upgrade users will also be able to network their consoles to their home computers in order to “seamlessly view and play” media content such as images or videos stored on their PCs.

Gamasutra - PS3 Firmware Update Adds PS1, PS2 HD Upscaling

check out the difference in upscaling from PS2 Games!

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/new...a-304083-1.xml

reporting that Sony has promised 380 games for the PS3 by March 2008.

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp. said on Thursday it expects about 380 new PlayStation 3 titles to become available in the business year to March 2008, on top of more than 100 titles currently on the market.

Of the total, some 200 will be packaged software, while the remaining 180 titles are expected to be downloadable via the Internet, Sony Chief Executive Howard Stringer said at the company's general shareholders' meeting.

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/new...a-304083-1.xml

reporting that Sony has promised 380 games for the PS3 by March 2008.

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp. said on Thursday it expects about 380 new PlayStation 3 titles to become available in the business year to March 2008, on top of more than 100 titles currently on the market.

Of the total, some 200 will be packaged software, while the remaining 180 titles are expected to be downloadable via the Internet, Sony Chief Executive Howard Stringer said at the company's general shareholders' meeting.

Page 1 of 17 12611 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 08-13-2007, 11:35 AM