Thread: To PS3 Owners - Good quality DVD upconverter?

To PS3 Owners - Good quality DVD upconverter?

Hey all those out there with wonderful PS3's!

I'm looking to get a good DVD player that upconverts to 1080p.

With repeated suggestions from Burt (Thanks Burt!! ) to check out AVS Forums on this kidna stuff I found that people tend to really like the Oppo 980 and such for that kinda stuff...

BUT places like Best Buy doesn't carry that kinda stuff... too bad because I have a ton of gift cards for the place :P WHICH leads me to posting here...

In the future I'd like to get a PS3 sometime. I need to also get a new/better DVD player because the one I'm using is slowly dieing.. and I'd like to have one that uses HDMI and all that good stuff.

For those of you with a PS3 using HDMI on a nice 1080p tv... you guys see a nice difference of playing normal DVD movies on it?

If i'm going to spend 100+ on a new DVD player... and the PS3 does it fantastically... I might as well just put that 100 bucks toward a PS3.

Anyways, thanks for the Input!
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

absolutely. 2nd best on the market according to top reviewers

Quote Originally Posted by Dukefrukem View Post
    absolutely. 2nd best on the market according to top reviewers
    Nice - watch normal DVD's on it a lot? I'm really curious as to the difference. I've heard a lot of mixed answers on it.

Now to work on a way to convince my wife it's a good choice

.. I may have to spring for the 40 gig though since it's cheaper... Unless I find a really cheap (i.e., used) 60 gig one for a good 100 bucks less :P

The only movie I was able to compare HD / Standard DVD (upverted and non-upverted) was King Kong. I used the 360 and used my non-upverted dvd player, the 360 to upvert and then the HD-DVD player to view the HD version. The upverted version over non-upverted was definitely noticeable, at least when comparing scenes. It seemed to bring out some of the detail in the wilderness scenes, and make scenes less blurry (as far as trees, etc).

I'm not exactly sure how hugely noticeable the difference would be if you aren't comparing the two like I did. I was making the jump to HD anyway, so the upverted was an added bonus. Overall I thought it was enough of a difference to make me happy I had the feature.

Nice Skeletor - thanks! I talked with Burt yesterday and had about the same to say (and talked about how some HD DVD's are rather better than others and whatnot).

Seems to help it look better at least, which is good! If i'm getting something like that - there better be!