Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got a PS3! :w00t:

Just got a PS3! :w00t:

After more than a year of saving and doing random odd jobs here and there (both myself and my wife) - we managed to save enough for a PS3 (as well as good cables, dual-shock 3 controller and the ps3 remote) - All I can say is that i'm impressed. not only that, but it's gone beyond my expectations - especially for the 40 gig PS3 that I got rather than waiting for the "top-o-the-line" 80 gig PS3 bundle coming out with MGS in a little more than a month.

- First of all, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get sound out of the system using HDMI to my TV, and then use the audio out from my TV to my older receiver - though it sounds GREAT on my TV my worries were confirmed when I was unable to get audio out from my TV to my receiver -- good old differences between digital and analog :P

I looked around some more on my PS3.. and you CAN change your audio output without changing the video output. Right now i can play/watch in glorious 1080p over HDMI and have audio over the av-multi cable to my receiver - works great... and again above my expectations the sound from the PS3 from normal rca cables sound fantastic - it blows the sound from my previous DVD player out of the water! I was rather surprised!

Not only that, but my "non-backwards compatible" PS3 appears to play all my PS1 games just fine...!? I have another friend who has the same 40 gig PS3 and it plays their PS2 games just fine as well?! what the heck? Not that i'm upset or anything, but now i'm rather confused about all the humbug with the 40 gig PS3 not being backwards compatible? maybe i'm just lucky and own ps1 games that just work on the PS3? anyways... being able to play those games was one of the only reasons why I wanted to get an 80 gig PS3. Now I can do it just fine for a 100 bucks cheaper!

And MAN O MAN - played GT4:Prologue and Ratchet and Clank so far on my system (with a 61" 1080p TV)... and.. just... WOW. Amazing...! DLed a few trailers in 1080p and it looks amazing... can't wait until I start getting some new movies in Bluray!

Anyways, i'm throughly impressed and everything works great! - the ps store seemed to dl pretty slow but I changed some settings before I went to bed last night and hopefully it'll speed it up. (was taking 15-20 minutes to dl a 100 meg trailer?!)

But man.

It's sweet. --- now with all the GTA stuff going on, that could be the first game I buy for the PS3 (i've been renting). Just need a new receiver and i'm all high-tech now! but even with my decade old Awia receiver it sounds awesome

-- btw.. this is the first console that I've bought since the Sega Saturn
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Germany [DE]
    UI
    good job fuzz! You'll definitely enjoy it, and I'm sure it'll be worth it. I'm saving up now to get one...debating on whether I should blow the tax return on it!

I'm jealous!

Hehe, you said Oddjob.

awesome fuzz.. just one question... it seems like from your post that you really had to save for a PS3... but yet you have a 61" 1080p TV? :eek:

PSN Name: Dukefrukem

TV = Necessity
    PS3 = Not

Heheheh - myself and my wife love movies - the TV was something else that we saved for as well - and justified the cost because we'd use it all the time.. and it's predominantly our source of entertainment! We started to save for a HD player after we got the TV (I was going to get a really good DVD player that upconverts... remember that thread not far below this one I think? lol).. and decided I might as well put the 150$ toward a PS3 and bluray... thus the saving for the PS3 began

-- lol, and with the TV the amount of moves we see in the theater has gone down drastically

I believe my PSN name is :sRFuzzyLogik (I guess FuzzyLogik was taken :P).

I need to add people next time I get on the console

Sounds awesome, I think I'll be dropping a dime on PS3 very soon.

awesome news Fuzz. I'm with Gantua, there's a GTA capable PS3 in my near future me thinks :d

It might take some convincing but i'm really wanting to get GTA now (been trying to get games that both myself and my wife can play.. at the same time at least)! game looks awesome... and i'm remembering playing GTA for the PS2 and how fun that was. and watching people play (for a bit at least).

Me need some gaming! though I also need sleep. so i'll probably end up relaxing for the next few days before anything new is purchased

Sic vis pacem para bellum Essen's Avatar
    Fuzzy, since you and I are both looking into the newer AVR units... approximately what is your budget for one? I think I know which one will fit perfectly for you, unless you have some weird audio/video needs in an AVR.

btw I'm assuming the following:

> you have 5.1, and would consider adding two speakers for 7.1 at any time in the future

> You'll want around 100wpc output

> You won't be using more than 2 or 3 HDMI inputs (1 for PS3, one for HD cable/satellite, the hdmi-out is for your TV)

> You have an average sized living room (or wherever your PS3 is located).

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast