Page 1 of 7 126 ... LastLast

Thread: PS3 vs. PS3 slim help

PS3 vs. PS3 slim help

So I sold my PS3 a few years back because i didnt have time to play it with school and work. Im now looking at picking one up and am not sure which to get.

From my understanding the current large model you can buy has more ports while the new slim has a bigger hdd and is wifi capable.

Are there any other differences I need to be aware of?

I have some concern with the slim being brand new that all the bugs wont be worked out also.

I dont plan on storing a lot of media on the hdd and space isnt an issue so basically can you guys help me out and reccomend which one you think is the best investment?

THANKS!!!

Those are pretty much the main differences. That and you can't run Linux on it (but who really cares on that point IMO). Bacon has one and he loves it.

Yeh Craig is right, I think that the only differences.
    I gonna pick one up soon now that there done to an acceptable price.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    it's been out long enough that you'd have heard of any major issues, so I think the slim is prob your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by 40oz.SLURPEE View Post
    So I sold my PS3 a few years back because i didnt have time to play it with school and work. Im now looking at picking one up and am not sure which to get.

From my understanding the current large model you can buy has more ports while the new slim has a bigger hdd and is wifi capable.

Are there any other differences I need to be aware of?

I have some concern with the slim being brand new that all the bugs wont be worked out also.

I dont plan on storing a lot of media on the hdd and space isnt an issue so basically can you guys help me out and reccomend which one you think is the best investment?

THANKS!!!
    The ONLY difference between every PS3 made in the last 2 years and the slim, other than size and power consumption, is they took away the ability to add a different OS like Linux. Since late 2007 on, all PS3s have had the card reader removed and only 2 USB ports. They're all WiFi (and bluetooth) capable. And as for the hard drive, you can swap out the original drive in an older PS3 and put in a bigger one. I think Fuzzy just swapped his out for a 320gb.

The Slim is really just that. Slim. Functionally, it's the same.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

so basically theyre the same thing in a different case other than the hdd size?

any idea how fan noise compares?

Supposedly the Slim is a lot quieter.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Sic vis pacem para bellum Essen's Avatar
    If I were in your situation, I'd get the slim. There's nothing fantastic that you're missing out on from the fat PS3.

Blog Entries
    Plus the power consumption is a lot less, no fingerprint problems, and more PS3 fat's out on the market (which means cheaper for me)

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar
    The only reason you should look at at Phat PS3 is if you have a big library of PS2 games you play alot (but your chances of finding a 20GB/60GB/80GB Gen1 are minimal). The Linux install is gimped anyway, so that's not a big deal.
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

Page 1 of 7 126 ... LastLast