Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony's Playstation 3 Finally Hacked?

Sony's Playstation 3 Finally Hacked?

This is interesting news to say the least:

In a post titled "Hello hypervisor, I'm geohot," hacker George Hotz (already known in the iPhone community) has made a strong claim: that he has cracked the PS3. The system has remained (mostly) uncompromised for over three years now, with a few exceptions here and there. But, this one pledges full read/write access to the entire system memory and complete control over the processor -- all without a mod chip. Has he really done it, if so how, and what comes next? That all remains to be seen. This exploit supposedly "isn't really patchable, but [Sony] can make implementations much harder," meaning he isn't tipping his hat until he's ready, because once he does the never-ending firmware update war begins, and as we've seen on the PSP, Sony can really knock out those updates.
    The implications to a fully unlocked PS3 are pretty sweet. It could be used as a PC for the most part, and as well would allow you to play just about any media format or (ahem) region you'd like. Very interesting!

Link - Engadget

Re: Sony's Playstation 3 Finally Hacked?

and now i want to see fanboys say that only pc is filled with hackers, you will get your fais share when the time comes and you wont be able to ban them
    Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    I got played by henry, wtf!

that's very true. this could lead to a shit storm of hacks for PS3 games.

Germany [DE]
    UI

oh well, it had to be done sooner or later right? Some good things come from hacking consoles anyway, for example using the Wii to run Homebrew. Who knows, something good may come from this!

Couldn't most stuff already be done with Linux on the PS3? But I'm surprised that it's taken this long to do.

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speedde423 View Post
    Couldn't most stuff already be done with Linux on the PS3? But I'm surprised that it's taken this long to do.
    IIRC the Linux on the PS3 was very limited in what you could do with the Cell/Graphics chips inside of it. Or else we would have seen tons more emulators with it.

It'll be interesting to see what comes out of this in terms of homebrew/console banning from PSN. I'd love to do this with the PS3, but I'd rather just mod a PSP.
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

Blog Entries

Like I said, PC was main stream that's why everyone hacked it. Once consoles become mainstream, like they are becoming, they will also get hacked. It's not rocket science. It's just obvious.
    Edited by Teck:
    did you really just ask if Bo has his cwp?

he shot his name into the application form from 1000 yards... while on a Segway... One handed with his USP in .45ACP... While doing pushups AND eating his sandwich...

Germany [DE]
    UI

derp

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bojingles View Post
    Like I said, PC was main stream that's why everyone hacked it. Once consoles become mainstream, like they are becoming, they will also get hacked. It's not rocket science. It's just obvious.
    Well "hacking" in this case means something entirely different that hacking on the PC. On a PC you can install whatever software you want on it. However on a console, you can only run approved software on it, unless you hack it to run unauthorized software (read: homebrew/emualtors/illegal backups).

Anyway there were already plenty of game-hacks (like controller modding, or the various glitches/problems there have been) on the console so thats not new.
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

Am I the only one fully expecting Sony to respond by releasing an update that will brick every modded PS3?
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast