Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony's Next Generation Portable/PSP2

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar

Sony's Next Generation Portable/PSP2

So while most of you were sleeping, Sony had a nice little event in Tokyo letting loose the details for the next PSP system, while also delving into their new Android based Playstation Suite.

I'll post more of a roundup in the morning, but here's a link to get you guys started.

The Sony PSP2, codenamed NGP -- Engadget
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

Germany [DE]
    UI

Re: Sony's Next Generation Portable/PSP2

I'm glad they didn't stick to the crappy concept designs floating around lately, but I'm still a bit iffy on how this will turn out.

After the relatively so-so run the psp and psp2 had, Sony really needed to up their game with this release. The graphical specs are incredible, but aside from that the only thing new is the elimination of UMD (a given) and a bunch of goddam social networking features.

Sorry, but I don't really give a shit about browsing Facebook, seeing nearby friends' last played games and tweets. I, and everyone else who does any sort of social networking already have a computer and/or smartphone for such things. It would be better to give people the option of installing this stuff -- save some hd space an battery life by keeping off all the auto-updating twitter bullshit. I want to be able to play beautiful games longer, not sacrifice battery life because my glorified handheld feels the need to update with every nearby wifi connection. (Ntm that all these extra random features is the reason why sonys initial production costs are so high, but that's another story entirely.)

We'll see how it goes though. I enjoyed my original psp for about a year, and now it collects dust because Sony rarely releases any top titles or (good) classic downloads anymore. I just think Sony needed something more "wow" to take away from it's direct competition, the 3DS. I havent felt it in my hands yet so theres no telling how ergonomic it is, but it's looking much better than the brick of a PSP1000. A physical redesign is nice; but just like the last system, a stellar library of top games is the only thing that will keep this
    afloat. I really do want it to be successful, and I love Sony, but if this doesn't come out with guns ablazing there's no way it'll stand up against the 3DS.

Should be interesting. I doubt I will want one as I'm more the type to consolidate devices. I would much rather upgrade my phone to something that can play games better than my current phone, problem is any upgrade I would undertake would have to be better than the current device in multiple aspects and I doub't the PSP2 will fit the bill there.

Here's another write-up of the PSP2 for those interested. Everything You Should Know About Sony's PlayStation NGP - Tested

MisterX

Specification wise it sounds great. most impressed. I Imported the first one from the good 'ol US of A when it launched, and liked it alot, but pretty quickly just lost interest, as UI said no killer games.
    I'd like to see it doing well though, but a) its gonna ge expensive and b) will have a battery life measured in nanoseconds.

Sticking with the 3DS. Cant wait till March.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

looks pretty nice. the screen on the psp was great at the time, this one sounds even better.

but they have to do the game store right. it has to be easy and quick.

I loved my original PSP for the modding alone. Plus is was my first mobile browsing experience, it was great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    denny, i didn't know your cadillac had crank windows.

The Game Gear was far superior tech wise to the Game Boy, but look at which one is still around. This will only work if there are good games available and I don't know if Sony's in house developers will have enough output to keep it alive. But we are in a different era now, both this and the 3DS are going to be priced in full console ranges. That will hurt sales of both, since few parents are going to buy their kids $250+ toys to throw in their backpacks. Add in the competition from the phones with cheap games and this will have a heck of a time gaining marketshare.

I hope both do well, but the 3DS has a huge advantage in this field from the success of the Game Boy over the years. And I hope Sony sticks to a standard flash memory like SD and doesn't try to push another memory stick that can't be used in anything else.

Well, Game Gear battery life was absolutely horrible. The destroyed it as a mobile platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    denny, i didn't know your cadillac had crank windows.

Would you like a jelly baby? MajorMalfunction's Avatar

50$ for my PSP, the few games I bought, a 2GB memory card, and a case? Anyone interested?

Nah, didn't think so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast