Page 1 of 18 12611 ... LastLast

Thread: Playstation Network (PSN) Hacked!

Playstation Network (PSN) Hacked!

Since there wasn't a thread here about this -

Update on PlayStation Network and Qriocity

Clarifying a Few PSN Points

Q&A #1 for PlayStation Network and Qriocity Services

Still no confirmation about CC info being stolen - but at least it's know that the table containing that information was encrypted. Normal personal information though, names, b-days, addresses etc. were compromised though.

I'm not 100% sure if I should cancel my card - may not hurt but may not be necessary either. Most likely all the other information (name, address and such) can be found on the net anyways. They don't have SSN's or such to really be able to steal personal information/identity....

but I dunno!

IMHO I don't think having personal information stored on the PSN network is any more secure than using a credit-card anywhere. This is all data that's transferred and is is stored somewhere digitally. It can all be stolen regardless of your practices.

It's good to have safe practices though.

Any of you have stored CC info in the PSN? What are you guys doing about all this?
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

Considering hibernation ohmigosh's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: PSN Hacked!

There was an update on the BBC tonight flagging that users are being advised not to cancel their credit cards. But I think I'd be calling my credit card company and asking for a new card just in case.

BBC News - PlayStation Network credit card details were encrypted

Really liked VincentVegas' cc company doing temporary cc numbers
    Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    That is why I ALWAYS use my credit card company's ability to generate temporary credit card #s with a spending limit. Although I don't even do that these days unless it's absolutely nencessary. I always try to use PayPal. My Amazon account has about 20 old/expired temp numbers.
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual."

Germany [DE]
    UI

I have my CC info on PSN, but I'm not worried about it. I think that Sony has tried to keep this under as much control as possible, even though they've been slow to report all the necessary important information.

I'm more worried about my account password/personal info, since that seems to be lower on the seurity priority list than cc info. I'd rather not start back over with all of my trophies etc gone, even if they are pretty much trivial it's just the principal.

Considering hibernation ohmigosh's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's not trivial UI, you've worked hard to get them
    "Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual."

Yeah, it's not that big of a deal to get a new CC & number, just a hassle and would take time to update other information relating to that card.

I like that in the article that you listed that if they do find that the numbers got out they they would have to report all the card numbers and the information would be given to all the relevant banks to make sure they knew that the number was potentially stolen.

Good!

I don't feel pressure to hurry at anything, but i may do it anyways. Probably not a bad idea to change your card number every once in a while anyways... like changing a password. But..... though now thinking about it, i'm not sure if that's 100% similar.

-- sounds like they're going to push an update so that all users will have to change their password when they log in. not too shabby - but there's worries that the bad guys could log into an account with the stolen information first and change it to something else... and thus your account is now gone :P i think that's a little far fetched though.
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

just buy a bunch of stuff from Nigerian eBay and then claim it stolen.

what?

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeShark View Post
    just buy a bunch of stuff from Nigerian eBay and then claim it stolen.

what?

I just got an email today from sony saying that everything under my account may have been taken, birth date, profile name password, billing address ect. (Except my credit card info) but just in case they gave me the numbers to the 3 major credit reporting agencies.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmigosh View Post
    There was an update on the BBC tonight flagging that users are being advised not to cancel their credit cards. But I think I'd be calling my credit card company and asking for a new card just in case.

BBC News - PlayStation Network credit card details were encrypted

Really liked VincentVegas' cc company doing temporary cc numbers
    My parents have had their credit cards compromised several times. This always amazes me, but they are of the older generation and not as inherently distrustful as I am. I have had my own credit card issues, so I make sure it never leaves the inner vault unless the coast is clear.

Germany [DE]
    UI

Just got the email from Sony saying my shit could be jacked as well.

Worst. Player. Ever. SonicSpeed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UI View Post
    Just got the email from Sony saying my shit could be jacked as well.
    Same, although thankfully I believe I never used my CC on PSN so I am not too worried. Having all of my address info out there is kinda annoying but its probably out there already.
    Desktop
    Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon W3530 2.80Ghz | nVidia GeForce GTX 570| 24GB DDR3-1600 |
    Laptop

Thinkpad W530 | Core i7-3840QM 2.8Ghz | 16GB DDR3-1333 | Quadro K1000M | 256GB 840 EVO mSATA | 15.6in FHD LCD

Page 1 of 18 12611 ... LastLast