Page 1 of 41 12611 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: The PS4 Thread

The PS4 Thread

Figured we should have a more official thread for this in the Sony section.

PlayStation 4 Announced: PC-based AMD Hardware Inside

// from Vega

We'll see if this is official?
    "Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun."

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

Re: The PS4 Thread

There are a couple neat features, but it's obvious they announced early just to be first.

I honestly could not give a shit about the increased "social media integration"
    Other than that, the new controller looks like an improvement, the current one is horrible to use, compared to the 360 one at least.
    Looks pretty good stat and feature wise
    All in all seems like a decent improvement on the 7 year old PS3, but then again I only use my PS3 as an overweight Blu Ray Player and Netflix box.

Given the plain performance differences, with Intel being faster and better with power, it's amazing Sony went with AMD. Maybe they got a package deal. use our GPU and CPU, and you get a discount plus everything coming from one source. might even be a one chip solution

nothing wrong with an AMD solution as a dedicated gaming system, and cheaper.

I would definitely like to see more of the social aspects of this gaming device. I heard that even when playing locally, you can sign into your individual PSN account, and any trophies and such earned will also be applied to your own account. Uploading video would be easier as well, and integrating it with Twitter and Facebook would make it so much easier to share videos and such with your friends or online.

They also said that they weren't going to tie a game disc with a specific console, which means that the used game market will continue to exist. It also means that MS will not be able to do that with their 720 console, but there still could be some type of always on DRM you would have to deal with.

The controller looks interesting with the touchpad and the built in speaker. I guess it's going to be something like the Wii where it has player-specific sounds coming through it. I know other people who have had problems with the playstation controller design, but I've always been fine with it. They could use some type of trigger guard to keep your fingers on the L2/R2 buttons. I've never had any problems with hand fatigue when using any controller really.

The games look good, and I think that since they moved away from the Cell precessor, people will much more easily be able to get the best out of the hardware. There's only so much you can do graphics wise with 1080p output before the graphics get to be as close to photorealistic as you can get. Just read on Joystiq that they will not be playing games at 4k, but it will have the ability to play movies in 4k. Until they start developing games in 4k, or even until 4k screens actually become mainstream devices, everything is going to be limited in that aspect, but that doesn't mean they won't look awesome.

Never had problems with the PS controller - rather like it more than the 360 controller (but then again, i have fairly small hands :P) - the AMD choice is probably because they make fantastic APU's - their cpu/gpu on the same chip has been far superior to Intel's offering for some time now. and yeah, it'll probably be a custom chip as well.

There's other rumors that this could be out at the beginning of the holiday season (november?!?) and that'd be crazy lol - but interesting indeed. I'm still very curious about the 8GB DDR5... if that's true that's pretty awesome. we cant even do that for desktops now (besides your vid cards).

Well, I'm sort of glad (again, if this is all true). I'm astounded AMD is even still in business due to their dismal CPU designs. I really don't want to see Intel have a monopoly, so this is good in that it should pump some cash into AMD.

I hope this props them up or that they can do something to get them back into the CPU market. man they've been in a really really long slump :P

Seven Questions About PlayStation 4 for Sony's Jack Tretton - Lauren Goode - News - AllThingsD

Will the new console cost $599 to start?

I certainly hope not.

Page 1 of 41 12611 ... LastLast