Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: PS3 can’t be offered at a price that’s targeted towards households

PS3 can’t be offered at a price that’s targeted towards households

from engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000720051831/

Besides the original Game Boy platform, no system has ever lasted 10 years in the market. Pretty much straight up like that. But that apparently didn’t stop Sony Computer Entertainment Prez Kenny Kutaragi from stating at PlayStation Meeting 2005 that they’re “looking at a life cycle of 10 years with the PlayStation 3” due to the transition to HDTV. Uh, ok, that’s a little oblique—so how do they plan to accomplish this? Why, with “full HD features from the start so that consumers won’t have to buy another version of the console in the future.” Ahem. And what are we to conclude from this? Well, perhaps the money is in Ken’s quote that “the PS3 can’t be offered at a price that’s targeted towards households,” and, “I’m not going to reveal its price today. I’m going to only say that it’ll be expensive.” Sorry for all the quotes, but we’re just laying it down—with previous estimates hovering at about $400 per unit, should we take this as a possibility that the PS3 is getting a big price bump in the wrong direction, and might just perhaps be classing itself right out of the market? Hope not, but we don’t even know what to expect anymore—execs tend not to whine about their gear being too expensive if at all possible.
    huh? :scratch:

AzN
    It'll probaly be $500.. maybe even more since the company's president said it himself that it'll be expensive...

Janet Jackson is F'n hot
    Well, the fact its supposed to outperform 7800GTX SLI rigs with total performance, I can see $500. Would I pay it......probably not, as my rig suits me fine. Im just not into consoles anymore since I saw the light
    My Rig:
    Thermaltake Soprano case and fans
    Thermalright XP-120
    Vantec Spectrum Fan Card
    Asus A8N SLI Deluxe Mobo
    2Gb DDR400 RAM
    320Gb RAID 0 HDD
    AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 (2.2Ghz @ 1.41V)
    Hiper Type R 580W PSU
    XFX 7950GX2 Extreme Edition (570/1450)
    Audigy Z-2S soundcard
    NEC DVD Player/Burner
    Dell 2005FPW monitor

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...95041&q=tripod Funny vid

Sucky sucky..five dollah! CrabbyPatty's Avatar
    Problem is, the time it will be released the 7800GTX will just be an average card at the most, so I can see this being a problem for gamers.
    Athlon 64 3000+ / Asus A8n-SLi nForce4 / Dual 6600GT SLi / 19' Samsung Flat Panel (8ms!)
    Audigy Gamer sound / Razer Diamondback 0wnage mouse / Klipsch 5.1 THX Surround
    3dmark03: 14298
    3dmark05: 6380

There's no place like 192.168.0.1

Keep this in mind. Everyone said that the PSP was too much money at $250. Yet they still sell like crazy. I work at Target, we had a initial supply of 60 of them when they first came out, they were all gone in 2 days.

Never underestimate the buying power of a American consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by CrabbyPatty
    Problem is, the time it will be released the 7800GTX will just be an average card at the most, so I can see this being a problem for gamers.
    So the 7800GTX will be average for most gamers in Spring 2006? Just like how almost everyone owns a Geforce 6800 Ultra these days. I mean, it's been out for, let's see, 1 1/2 years already? [/sarcasm]

Although I expect the costs to go down significantly after a few years or so, RSX is still a powerful chip. It IS running at 550 Mhz compared to the 7800GTX 430Mhz stock, so it's hard to really know what it can do.

I'm wouldn't be surprised at a $500+ price tag if what the PS3 capabilities Sony claims are true. They tried market a $700 PS2/DVR in Japan that was to be the ultimate multimedia centerpiece.
    Inspiron XPS Gen 2
    Intel Pentium M 760 Processor (2GHz/533MHz FSB)
    Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    17in True Life™ Wide Screen UXGA Display
    2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
    256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 6800 Ultra NV256
    80GB Hard Drive
    8x CD/DVD burner with double-layer write capability
    XPS Gen 2 Backpack

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Quote Originally Posted by dktmak
    Keep this in mind. Everyone said that the PSP was too much money at $250. Yet they still sell like crazy. I work at Target, we had a initial supply of 60 of them when they first came out, they were all gone in 2 days.

Never underestimate the buying power of a American consumer.
    I think the PSP was perfectly priced for what is was. It is basically a portable PS2 capable of doing anything the PS2 can do. A PS2 now will cost you $150 as well as a Nintendo DS. For a $100 more, you can basically take your PS2 on the road.

Giving a little more thought on this, I don't know whether Sony would have the balls to price this console above $300. It would only give Microsoft's X360 even more an advantage.
    Inspiron XPS Gen 2
    Intel Pentium M 760 Processor (2GHz/533MHz FSB)
    Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    17in True Life™ Wide Screen UXGA Display
    2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
    256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 6800 Ultra NV256
    80GB Hard Drive
    8x CD/DVD burner with double-layer write capability
    XPS Gen 2 Backpack

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Well if the PS2 launch is any indication you could pre-order a couple of them and make a nice profit on Ebay.
    Desktop: AW Aurora, Asus A8N-SLI Premium, Athlon X2 3800+, Dual EvGA 7800gt, 2GB PC-3200 DDR, 2x 73gb Raptors, 1.2TB SATA storage, Dell 2001fp, XP Pro.

HTPC: OrigenAE X11, MSI K8N Neo4-F, A64 3500+, EvGA 7600GS, 2gb DDR, 800gb storage, Hauppage MCE-500

Laptop Area-51m 5700, 17" WUXGA 1920x1200, Pentium M 740, 6800 Go, 1gb PC-3200 DDR2, 80gb SATA single drive, CDRW/DVD, Intel Pro 2200, XP Pro.

Fragged
    Quote Originally Posted by akiladae
    I think the PSP was perfectly priced for what is was. It is basically a portable PS2 capable of doing anything the PS2 can do. A PS2 now will cost you $150 as well as a Nintendo DS. For a $100 more, you can basically take your PS2 on the road.

Giving a little more thought on this, I don't know whether Sony would have the balls to price this console above $300. It would only give Microsoft's X360 even more an advantage.
    alls im saying is this anytihng over 300 bucks for a councle wont make it. You have to see the light think that an avg housleold does not mkae over onehundred-thousand-dollars and most of that is spend on food clothing nessary items and the house of coarse. WHo on their right mind would spend over 300+ to play games not many people would i can tell you that! Yes if the xbox is below 300 bucks it will kill the ps3 in sales regardless of how fast the preformance is.

Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast