Page 1 of 30 12611 ... LastLast

Thread: World of Tanks - Open Beta

Double Yummy Happy Swirl KenseiBurt's Avatar

World of Tanks - Open Beta

World of Tanks went to open beta in late January. Ever since then I've been thoroughly addicted to this WWII Tank arcade/sim multiplayer game. I happen to also be a WWII era nut - so this game really appeals to me.

You can register and download the client from HERE

In my opinion, the game does a great job of joining together arcade simplicity, simulation, and team tactics. The controls and movement are very simple. The tanks, tank destroyers, and Self-Propelled Guns (artillery) are all historically accurate from engine power, traverse speeds, and all the way down to ammunition types.

When the game goes live it will be free to play, with the ability to make micro purchases for premium content. In the open beta they give a daily allowance of gold (which is what is bought as a micro purchase when the game goes live).. it's nice to have but not necessary to enjoy the game.

The graphics are nothing to rave about, but they are decent and do a good job. The vehicle models are well done and are very accurate.

The audio is awesome. I love cranking my subwoofer and shaking my house when firing rounds.

Things I would like to see the Devs improve before release: FPS optimizations, fix the graphic memory leak, and maybe add some additional content. My biggest worry is the long game. What's going to happen when after several months everyone has the highest tiered vehicles .. I don't see the game being too much fun after that. Granted it does take a very long time to reach high tier tanks.

Give it a shot (pun intended). Who knows? Maybe the tank action will hold you off until Battlefield 3.

...and remember, the LOLTraktor pwns u!

Tank trees and screenshots (my own taken from in game):

I had an awesome round. 8 kills:

Last edited by KenseiBurt; 02-14-2011 at 09:22 PM.
    "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.---That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

Re: World of Tanks - Open Beta

looks pretty sweet, nice write up

Thanks, Coffee.
    "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.---That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

this looks awesome! I want to try it. great thread

Colombia [CO]
    Tao

yeah i'm sold

For those interested, Here is a good forum directory for guides.

Try not to get too frustrated when first playing. When you start out, you'll begin with a tier one tank. You may choose to start out as a Light Tank, Artillery, or Tank Destroyer. Regardless, all of these have very weak armor -
    you can cough on them and they will blow up. With that said, there is no respawning in a round. So once your dead, you are stuck waiting .. one round can last up to 15 minutes.. so try to stay alive as long as you can. While dead you can observe your teammates, so use this to your advantage by observing what they do. Rounds typically last 10-12 minutes.

All of these tanks are invaluable, depending on how you use them. There are several different types of tanks and each has a role.

Light Tanks make the perfect scouts since they are fast. They are useful as spotters for artillery by spotting enemy positions at the beginning of a round and after. Light tanks have to choose their battles carefully or they will be toast quick.. they do well as artillery killers and vs other light tanks. Slipping through to the enemy base and taking out sleeping artillery is a great tactic.

Medium Tanks are well rounded. Many medium tanks are as fast as light tanks and can play a good role for observation as well. For the most part, mediums tanks should be used to flank the enemy and support the heavy tanks in battle.

Heavy Tank are your frontline tanks. They can take a beating and dish it out at the same time. However, they are generally very slow. Very easy to out drive them, especially if you're a light tank.

Tank Destroyers are your anti-tank. They are great defensive vehicles. There role is best as base defense and protecting your artillery. Their guns are powerful. Tank Destroyers have one big weakness, however, their guns are not turret mounted but stationary guns. This means that big corrections in aiming must be performed by turning the tank completely. One hit in the treads and the tank is a stationary 30 ton paperweight. Tank Destroyers have strong armor in the front and weak armor in the sides/rear .. but this is usual for all tanks.

Self-Propelled Guns (AKA Artillery) are for supporting your team by lobbing long range shots against the enemy. Use spotters to your advantage. Pick your targets wisely. A good artillery can easily get the team a win.

Here are some getting started videos:

These Videos have some good pointers for different tank types:

Light Tanks (LTs)

Medium Tanks (MTs)

Heavy Tanks (HTs)

Tank Destroyers (TDs)

Self Propelled Guns (SPGs)

Last edited by KenseiBurt; 02-15-2011 at 12:23 AM.

played for about an hour, didn't kill a single tank, but it is still pretty fun. a bit slow moving, but with upgrades im sure it gets better.
    Shotty h4x FTW!!!

:Rig:
    -(Asus P7P55D)-(Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.8ghz)-(4GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1333)-(Saphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB DDR5)-(Antec 850w)-

My nation pwns yours mwahahaha Sergeant_assist's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In-game name: sergeantSA
    What is wrong is always better than what is right, for its the wrong that forces change.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

downloading

after a bit more tinkering, i started killing other tanks, mad fun

ID: Unbroken
    Shotty h4x FTW!!!

:Rig:
    -(Asus P7P55D)-(Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.8ghz)-(4GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1333)-(Saphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB DDR5)-(Antec 850w)-

Page 1 of 30 12611 ... LastLast