Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By DennyCrane
  • 3 Post By DennyCrane

Thread: 9-11 Remembered

9-11 Remembered

It was 10 years ago today that America was attacked. 4 hijacked planes. 2 striking the World Trade Center, 1 striking the Pentagon, and a 3rd, brought down by passengers in Pennsylvania that was presumably heading towards the Capital or the White House in Washington DC. In all, almost 3,000 lives lost that warm, clear September morning.

Where were you? I had the day off, was about to start a new job on the 12th and was planning on moving my tools over from the old place. I woke up to my radio... well, I was half awake. There was some news event, but I was too fuzzy to really make out what was happening. Then I heard that Tower 1 was hit and I was out of bed, racing to turn a TV on. The second tower was hit. Then news came in about the crash at the Pentagon and other possible attacks. I made calls to my family... I guess we all did that... and made sure everyone was OK. Fast forward, the towers came down. Forward more to the aftermath... do you remember the eerie silence? No one was out on the streets. No air traffic. Nothing. Just a clear, blue sky and silence. And that was about how it was for the next week. No one went anywhere unless it was absolutely necessary. We were all awaiting more attacks.

Now, 10 years later, we remember that day. I hope everyone remembers that there are still people who hate America and would do the same thing if given a chance. I pray for the victims and their families and pray any plots for today are thwarted. Me, I'm heading to a ceremony up in Buffalo today, and maybe up to Niagara Falls for some introspection.

Essen, UI and Tao like this.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

Re: 9-11 Remembered

I was in my office working, I usually get to work by 7am (9am EST) and one of my developers came in and said 'my customer just asked if I heard about the Trade Center, I guess an airplane flew into it'. Having the only TV in the office, I turned it on and we caught some commentary. At that point, no one really knew if it was just a small plane or what had happened. Then the 2nd plane went in and everyone immediately caught on. It was a brutal day. There were probably 20 people crammed into my small office just standing there. It's still painful to see it.

I saw your FB post, Shark, but I decided against responding. Don't use FB much, and guess I'll try to keep it unrelated to world events

But I remember this as well. I was in college, mostly later and night classes, so I was prone to sleeping in. IIRC, I got up sometime after, 9 after the initial events, but before the collapses a bit later.

I remember classes getting cancelled, talking to my girlfriend on the phone, and just wandering around the house trying to move through a world that felt instantly upside down. As the morning progressed, I was pretty much glued to the TV, as I'm sure everyone else that was not in NYC was doing, too. It was a day that changed everything, the was no question, and you could certainly feel that effect at the time. It was palpable.

Sic vis pacem para bellum Essen's Avatar

RIP all the victims of this godforsaken tragedy.

Colombia [CO]
    Tao

i walked into spanish class. i remember exactly what i was wearing and the exact faces i saw in the class as i walked in. for some reason we had a tv on that a/v stand in the room that day and it was tuned to the news events.

i remember trying to figure out what movie we were watching. then i remember my cell phone not working, and the baltimore beltway turning into a parking lot that afternoon.

as childish as this may sound, i really wish we could go back to before that day and never have it happen

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

interesting look at how papers covered the anniversary of the attack today.

A look at today’s 9/11 anniversary newspaper visuals Charles Apple copydesk.org

This still hits me hard, and not just on 9-11 each year. Every time I see the twin towers in a movie, every time the subject is brought up, every time Islamic terrorism is in the news, I feel that pang of loss. That's part of the reason I will always have my NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE picture in my signature. I don't want to ever have this fade. I do not ever want to see this trivialized.
    OD-BLOODED-1, Tulkas and ohmigosh like this.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Blog Entries

I was in C++ class when it hit. Everyone in turned on the TV's in the classrooms and we watched the second plane hit only a minute or two later. After that half my class left to join the military after class.
    Edited by Teck:
    did you really just ask if Bo has his cwp?

he shot his name into the application form from 1000 yards... while on a Segway... One handed with his USP in .45ACP... While doing pushups AND eating his sandwich...

My future wife and I had an argument so I went to stay at my Dad's for a few days. I was asleep upstairs when I heard my dad say oh God and turn up the TV. I came downstairs a few minutes before the second plane hit. I remember feeling confusion, then anger. I called my fiance at work. I knew this had happened far away and that she was O.K, but I just needed to hear her voice. I will never forget those lost nor forgive those responsible for this senseless attack.
    Intel 8600k 6 core i5 @4.3Ghz, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 Z370 Mobo , 16GB G.Skill 3200MHz Ripjaws, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Gaming ICX 11GB, EVGA Supernova G2 750w Gold, BenQ 32" 1440p 4ms LCD, Corsair Sabre RGB, Corsair K70 Lux, HyperX Cloud II 7.1, Corsair Graphite 780t

MisterX

I was working as I.T support for a very large call center in Glasgow, One of the contracts we had was for Sky television. This meant that there were TV's on one floor of the building.
    On that day, I noticed our network spike, internet traffic grinding to a halt so I investigated.... Huge traffic to the news websites obviously something was up. BBC website was overloaded which never happens so I went upstair to the Sky floor and saw the image of the first tower burning, some tragic accident was what the Newscasters were suggesting, how could it be anything else? Watching in an already stunned state, The sight of the aircraft hitting the second tower... live as we watched. Silence rippled across the now packed call center floor. People arriving from our other buildings, phones being unanswered. Customers that did get through being told to go turn on the tv in hushed voices by the operators. The phones falling silent as did the room, for a long long time.