Page 2 of 273 FirstFirst 123712 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Ye Olde Coffee Environmental Thread

To Zion goes I... Shan/KenDoRin's Avatar
    I'm sick of two things: global warming alarmists and those who call it a religion. It is very much a real problem, but it's nowhere near as bad as people like Al Gore make it out to be. People should still be doing what they can to reduce the damage we do to our environment and reduce every kind of pollution, as long as they don't hurt themselves while they're at it. Actions we take could benefit people. Maybe my generation, maybe the next, but I do see global warming affecting us in the long run.

"Do not let anyone look down upon you because you are young, but be an example for the believers in your speech, your conduct, your love, your faith, your purity." (1 Tim. 4:12)
    XPS M1530|Intel Core Duo T7250 2GHz|3 GB RAM|200 GB SATA 7200 RPM|NVIDIA GeForce 8600M

Quote Originally Posted by Shan/KenDoRin View Post
    I'm sick of two things: global warming alarmists and those who call it a religion. It is very much a real problem, but it's nowhere near as bad as people like Al Gore make it out to be. People should still be doing what they can to reduce the damage we do to our environment and reduce every kind of pollution, as long as they don't hurt themselves while they're at it. Actions we take could benefit people. Maybe my generation, maybe the next, but I do see global warming affecting us in the long run.
    Actually, you're right. It's more of a cult than a religion. It requires faith, since its tenents directly oppose empirical research. Denial results in being labeled a heretic and being ostricized. It has a charismatic leader. It requires giving over large sums of money. The believers are required not to question the dogma.
    You see, the Earth's cooling. Go check yourself. And please use an independant source, not some global warming alarmist site that picks and chooses its data. Go check on what the sunspots are doing. Check the historical significance of this.
    Basically, stop listening to the crazed mutterings of Al Gore who's ignored good science to promote his CULT in order to financially gain from his carbon credit companies... yeah, go check that, too.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

I hate Al Gore for his alarmism, and I've said that time and time again. You've just only been listening to the things I say that scream "Leftleftleftleft".

"Do not let anyone look down upon you because you are young, but be an example for the believers in your speech, your conduct, your love, your faith, your purity." (1 Tim. 4:12)
    XPS M1530|Intel Core Duo T7250 2GHz|3 GB RAM|200 GB SATA 7200 RPM|NVIDIA GeForce 8600M

If you believe the Earth's warming, then you're denying the facts. This is what Al Gore wants. The facts are the Earth's been starting a cooling cycle since temperatures peaked about 10 years ago. Everytime there's a lull in sunspot activity, there's been a cooling trend. And a complete cessation of sunspots, while extremely rare, is a key indicator of a mini ice age. You say you see global warming effecting us all... I see blinders to a cooling trend potentially damaging our readiness to a cycle that is far more dangerous than warming.

See, it's just "he said, she said" from here. Some scientists say this, some scientists say that. I'll be my own judge on who's more credible, and I'm taking the middle-ground. Forgive me for trying to be more accomodating to both sides in my views, instead of flat out refusing to hear one of the sides.

Protip: REAL scientists are not partisans. They measure things, they create a hypothesis, then test their theory and record the results. They're not democrats or republicans. They're empirical. Things must be observed and be repeatable. The Al Gore "scientists" have a load of theories and little more. They use supposition. Real scientists look at trends, cycles, gather as much data as possible and above all, do NOT disregard data that disagrees with their agenda. It's been shown that the "scientists" in the Al Gore movie all tried to prove the theory of global warming and picked & chose which data they'd use. And as I said, the movie has been EMPIRICALLY disproven.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    You might want to read up on these things... because historically, all evidence points to NO effect on cycles by man. This going back 500 years. Too many people see hacks like Al Gore making ridiculous claims over and over and eventually accept them as fact. Even that rotten movie of his has had every single point in it proven false. It's liberal indoctrination.
    And right now, there's a major backlash of scientists who are stepping forward to offer real evidence and research that's saying the absolute opposite of the global warming fanatics. The Earth's heading into a major cooling cycle.
    There are no sunspots. Zero activity whatsoever. THIS is the pattern that effects our weather the most. Ultimately, the Sun is the source of all the energy we have. It is the true cause behind every weather pattern.
    The Al Gore sect has even denied any possible significance of the sun in their "weather models".
    So, please... do some independant research on this.
    Oh I didn't realize we have those records people kept of temperatures and atmospheric element levels from the 1600's.

My bad, Ill go google some stuff

Surprisingly accurate... but they had mercury thermometers back then and could measure those things. They even had telescopes that could be used to monitor sun spot activities. This is the key we'll finally hear about in the mainstream media soon enough. The correlation between the 2 factors.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    The old measurements are hilarity.

We have new measurements that aren't even accurate - placed on asphalt, or on top of buildings, used to prove warming trends. Then those are compared to (literally) old pictures, dairies from the 1600s (Good Lord, Miss Bannister, it is quite a scorcher today, eh?), and various other meaningless data. Or we use ice core samples from 200,000 years ago to determine the temps on Earth.

Nothing we discover ever conforms to what we expect. Probes were dumped into the ocean to find out how warm it was getting, and it was cooler. Satellite data is literally less than a decade old. We have no real means of comparison on a historical scale.

We are well aware that cooling and warming is natural. We come to a conclusion that man may be accelerating a natural cycle, though it is in debate. I would say that it hardly matters. A cycle is a cycle, if we're 50 or 100 years ahead of where we would be, what does it matter? We still have to deal with it. We do so by adapting, not by trying to change the climate.

Yes, we can screw up our environment, and we have. We need to clean it up. Not go back to the stone age, or stop driving, or relieve our enviro-guilt by buying carbon credits (the most asinine but highly-embraced idea yet).

But sunpots have been measured and cycles identified for hundreds of years. Although there appears to be references to sunspots by Theophrastus of Athens in 300 BC, the real, verifiable father of the studies of them was Galileo in 1611. The discovery of the sunspot cycle is attributed Heinrich Schwabe who published in 1843. When weather patterns were compared to the sunspots over the last few hundred years, we could clearly see the connection between temperature and the Sun.
    ~
    But the pollution we need to clean up is not CO2. CO2 is a naturally occuring gas required for plant life. We need to focus on CO (carbon monoxide) which is a poison, NOx (oxides of nitrogen) which contributes to phototropic smog, and hydrocarbon particulates.

Page 2 of 273 FirstFirst 123712 ... LastLast