Page 1 of 423 12611 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: It's The Economy, Nubtard!

It's The Economy, Nubtard!

We might as well have a thread dedicated to the economy...
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

So, I'm listening to a financial dude on the radio and he had some excellent points about what's going on with the economy. We all know it started with the banks lending money to people totally incapable of repaying their debt. Banks and other lending institutions were forced by the government to make these bad loans in the name of helping more poor and minorities to become home owners. There are other facts behind this, though. One is the repeal of the uptick rule in short selling. Formerly, to sell short, a stock would have to be going up in price. With that rule gone, we have what's called "Bear Raiders" who start rumors about a banks credit problems and liquidity, sell short as much stock as they can, have their friends sell short, their neighbors sell short, their best friends from high school sell short... suddenly, a formerly strong business is plummeting in value and assets. All kinds of money have been taken out and they can't cover their investors. The short sellers buy back and make a killing, return the now worthless stock and move on to another bank. The SEC placed a short term ban on short selling financial institutions, but the uptick rule is still gone. As soon as the ban is lifted, it'll happen again.
    Second, we have to go back to the Bill Clinton presidency and the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act. This was a 1933 law that was created to avoid a repeat of the Great Depression. Basically, it limited a savings bank from being involved in the speculative securities & exchanges market. Phil Gramm spearheaded the laws repeal in 1999. Citigroup was a major driving force behind lobbying for the laws repeal. Citigroups among other banking organizations donated over 1 million dollars to Gramms campaign funds from 1995-2000. Bill Clinton signed the bill into law and away went Glass-Steagall. This paved the way for mortgage-backed securities and collateralized debt obligations. And if they went bad? Ooopsy! The Federal government swoops in and covers investors (now called depositors), and bails out the bank.
    So it's suspected people were purposely writing bad loans at great rates knowing they'd fail. The government bails them out, they sold themselves short and made millions.
    Everybody wins!
    (except the tax payers now looking at a ONE TRILLION DOLLAR ADDITION TO OUR NATIONAL DEBT)
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 09-20-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    Damn You Bill Clinton!!!

Writer: Ugh, this post is heavy! Someone get me a wooden beam!
    Moderator: That post better be up to code or Heads WILL Roll :furious:
    Writer: It's set! See? :thumbup:
    [Crash]
    Moderator: ... [Ban]

but i was told slick willy saved the economy :huh:

:rofl:
    Gaming PC (i5, 8GB, GTX 1060) | PS4 | Switch

Sic vis pacem para bellum Essen's Avatar
    Good read Denny, but jeeze can you hit the space bar in between a few of those clustered paragraphs

it was actaully bush sr. who originally wanted the glass-seigal act to be repealed, during his presidency. clinton just got it done

also, sub prime primer for the lulz
    subprime works - Google Docs
    aka MOJO (commence lag-out)
    aka Hal 9000

No, it was the banks that wanted it repealed. Phil Gramm was their tool to get it done. He got it through congress and Clinton just signed the paper.

Blog Entries
    I mean, honestly! Who is dumb enough to want the law repealed that was created to prevent another 'Great Depression'?

Writer: Ugh, this post is heavy! Someone get me a wooden beam!
    Moderator: That post better be up to code or Heads WILL Roll :furious:
    Writer: It's set! See? :thumbup:
    [Crash]
    Moderator: ... [Ban]

Someone being paid millions by the banks, and a president whose policies were dictated by the latest polls. This is why Clinton vetoed welfare reform twice, but as soon as his polling numbers dropped, SUDDENLY was all for it and finally signed.

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar
    I've enjoyed seeing the Euro markets celebrate the "downfall of capitalism". They believe that this will end the evil scourge that is the free market.

Page 1 of 423 12611 ... LastLast