Page 4 of 785 FirstFirst ... 345914 ... LastLast
Like Tree482Likes

Thread: Ye New Political Thread

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

Re: Ye New Political Thread

no. Weiner and Co. decided to make a political statement. They had the votes, they just wanted to play politics INSTEAD of helping the responders.

If they really were just being helpful, they would have opened it up to amendments (there would've been very few due to the nature) and easily passed it, just as normal procedure is defined.

that's all there is to it.

To Zion goes I... Shan/KenDoRin's Avatar

I really don't know what the Dems were doing or trying to do. All I know is that nearly 160 people, liberal or conservative, thought there was any justification for voting against this bill. This should have been a nearly, if not fully, unanimous vote, and it shouldn't have mattered what kind of majority was needed.

Dems wanted to stop the right from blocking healthcare to 9/11 responders who are/were illegals at the time. If they'd been wrong to be worried, then why were there so many in opposition to the bill with or without amendments? What could possibly have been so important to attach to the bill?
    Last edited by Shan/KenDoRin; 08-05-2010 at 12:08 AM.

"Do not let anyone look down upon you because you are young, but be an example for the believers in your speech, your conduct, your love, your faith, your purity." (1 Tim. 4:12)
    XPS M1530|Intel Core Duo T7250 2GHz|3 GB RAM|200 GB SATA 7200 RPM|NVIDIA GeForce 8600M

may the Bruce be with you CoffeeShark's Avatar

OR, what was attached to the bill that had nothing to do with it, that they didn't want it to be amended?

I heard Weiner in an interview, and he wouldn't answer why he wouldn't just bring it up under normal parliamentary procedures. He just kept railing on how the Repubs didn't bring enough votes.

It was simply a ploy to score points, and Weiner is a scumbag for doing it. The fact is that they had 255 votes, and they only needed 215 under normal rules.

If that's true, then the way to tell Weiner he's full of shit and to STFU is to vote for it anyway. Instead they try to fight him back, block what is still a perfectly good bill, with or without amendments, and look like asses in the process. If he's trying to make Republicans look bad, he just succeeded.

"Do not let anyone look down upon you because you are young, but be an example for the believers in your speech, your conduct, your love, your faith, your purity." (1 Tim. 4:12)
    XPS M1530|Intel Core Duo T7250 2GHz|3 GB RAM|200 GB SATA 7200 RPM|NVIDIA GeForce 8600M

Using the 9-11 bill as a political football is nothing new to the democrats. As Coffee stated, they had the votes. It was 255 for, 159 against. The dems pulled a stunt to block any GOP amendments. But that trick requires a 2/3rds majority.... 277 votes in this case.

So, these "caring, compassionate democrats", instead of a simple up or down vote which would have passed the bill, played a trick and the bill went down... as they knew it would.

Why?

It was all smoke and mirrors. It was an attempt to make the GOP look bad, and at the same time kill the bill. AND allow them to put all the blame on the GOP. Now, ask yourself why the dems would not put this bill to a simple up or down vote. Then you'll know who to rage against.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

I'm not even going to bother arguing with your insane conspiracy theories about how the left is nothing but a deep conspiracy that hates the 9/11 heroes or whatever. All I wanted to say is that there are only 12 Republicans in the House who deserve the jobs they have, and at least 4 Democrats who absofuckinglutely do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan/KenDoRin View Post
    I'm not even going to bother arguing with your insane conspiracy theories about how the left is nothing but a deep conspiracy that hates the 9/11 heroes or whatever. All I wanted to say is that there are only 12 Republicans in the House who deserve the jobs they have, and at least 4 Democrats who absofuckinglutely do not.
    Seek help.

The facts are that the democrats could have passed the bill with a simple up or down vote. This is not any kind of theory, it is indisputable fact. They chose to block amendments, knowing full well the bill would not pass.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    Seek help.
    Any glimmer of a chance you may have had of being taken seriously by me just disappeared.

Whenever you insult me or condescend towards me or demean me (which you do every time I make the dumbass mistake of trying to present a viewpoint that's not staunchly in support of everything that the right says and does), you prove yourself to be the lesser man and thus take credibility from yourself and your argument.

That's something someone else once told me? You know who it was? I just quoted him at the beginning of the post. And I'm glad you said it, all that time ago, because at that time, I was out of line, and it set me straight. It's just disappointing to be reminded that certain people don't practice the things they preach.

The fact remains that the democrats could have passed the bill with a simple up or down vote. They chose not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan/KenDoRin View Post
    prejudge much?

Page 4 of 785 FirstFirst ... 345914 ... LastLast